Assumption 5, Mercy 2
Assumption 5, Mercy 2May 6, 2005
KUTZTOWN, PA - Assumption advanced in the first round of the NCAA East Regional at Kutztown with a 5-2 victory over Mercy.
Mercy won the match at first doubles behind Hans Peter Gartner and Mabo Banno, who won 8-4. Antonio Recalde and Dave Marshall tied it up for Assumption with an 8-6 win at second doubles and Matt Stopp and Rich Lieberman gave the Greyhounds a 2-1 lead with an 8-5 win at third doubles.
Gartner took the match at first singles, 6-1, 7-5, for Mercy's only singles point. Assumption won the other three completed matches at second, fifth and sixth singles. Recalde won 6-4, 6-2 at No. 2 singles. James Newman was a 6-4, 6-4 winner at fifth singles and Lieberman took a 6-4, 6-1 victory at sixth singles.
With the win, Assumption advances to the regional final, Saturday at 2:30, against Kutztown.
1. Hans Peter Gartner/Mabo Banno (M) def. Mike Goldman/James Newman (A) 8-4
2. Antonio Recalde/Dave Marshall (A) def. Pavol Vasko/Carl Johnson (M) 8-6
3. Matt Stopp/Rich Lieberman (A) def. Dennis James/Jonas Kazemakaitis (M) 8-5
1. Gartner (M) def. Goldman (A) 6-1, 7-5
2. Recalde (A) def. Banno (M) 6-4, 6-2
3. Stopp (A) vs. Kazemakaitis (M) 6-3, 5-4
4. Marshall (A) vs. Johnson (M) 6-3, 4-5
5. Newman (A) def. Vasko (M) 6-4, 6-4
6. Lieberman (A) def. James (M) 6-4, 6-1
Team Records: Mercy 6-5, Assumption 18-1
-- Courtesy Kutztown University