Barry 5, Tusculum 0
Barry 5, Tusculum 0May 6, 2005
MIAMI SHORES, Fla.-The top-seeded Barry Buccaneers defeated the 8th-ranked Tusculum Pioneers 5-0 in the semifinals of the 2005 NCAA Division II Southeast Region-I men's tennis tournament at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on Friday.
"The whole team did very well today," Barry's Patrick Rittenauer said. "Five-oh kind of says it all."
The Bucs grabbed all three doubles points. Victor Rodriguez and Alex Praderas defeated Pedro Galavis and Michael Hallford 8-1 at number three, while Martin Jensen and Sebastian Losavio made equally short work of Jesse Puckerin and Roberto Robles 8-2 at number two. The Bucs' top team, Thomas Hipp and Rittenauer made it 3-0 with an 8-3 win at number one over Carlos Garcia and Sergio Espinosa.
"We had a great start today," Barry head coach Dr. George Samuel said. "It always gives you a big lift to get three points in doubles. If we can get that kind of a start tomorrow, it will build a lot of confidence."
In singles, Barry's Rittenaur scored a 6-0, 6-0 win over Espinosa at number three singles.
"I played pretty well today," Rittenauer said. "My serve and volley was on. I tried to keep it short rallies today. It's going to be much tougher tomorrow."
Manuel Lauter closed out the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Garcia at number five singles.
The Bucs will face the winner of the Florida Gulf Coast/Eckerd match at 9:30 am in the Southeast Region-I championship match, with the winner advancing to the NCAA Division II National Tournament at Sanlando Park in Orlando, Fla., May 11-14.
Tennis Match Results
#2 Barry 5, #40 Tusculum 0
1. Sebastian Losavio (BUM) vs. Roberto Robles (TCM) 6-2, 4-3, unfinished
2. Thomas Hipp (BUM) vs. Jesse Puckerin (TCM) 6-2, 2-4, unfinished
3. Patrick Rittenauer (BUM) def. Sergio Espinosa (TCM) 6-0, 6-0
4. Victor Rodriguez (BUM) vs. Pedro Galavis (TCM) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
5. Manuel Lauter (BUM) def. Carlos Garcia (TCM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Martin Jensen (BUM) vs. Michael Hallford (TCM) 7-6 (7-4), 0-5, unfinished
1. Thomas Hipp/Patrick Rittenauer (BUM) def. Carlos Garcia/Sergio Espinosa (TCM) 8-3
2. Martin Jensen/Sebastian Losavio (BUM) def. Jesse Puckerin/Roberto Robles (TCM) 8-2
3. Victor Rodriguez/Alex Praderas (BUM) def. Pedro Galavis/Michael Hallford (TCM) 8-1
Tusculum 13-6; National ranking #40; Regional ranking #8
Barry 18-1; National ranking #2; Regional ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (,3,5)
-- Courtesy Barry University