Drury 5, St. Edward€™s University
Drury 5, St. Edwards University 1May 7, 2005
SPRINGFIELD, MO. -- In todays second round match of this years NCAA-II Mens National Tennis Championships the Drury University Panthers, ranked #10 in the latest ITA national rankings, defeated the Hilltoppers of St. Edwards University, 5-1. The Central Regions top seed, Drury will now advance to the NCAA-II Sweet 16 which begins this coming Wednesday, May 11 in Altamonte Springs, Florida.
While todays final score was 5-1, the match was anything but easy with the Hilltoppers, a team that entered this weekends action ranked 19th in the nation according to the ITA NCAA-II national rankings. After todays doubles action it was Drury holding a slim 2-1 lead. When the singles started most every match became increasingly more and more competitive. While the Panthers won at #1 singles (Matias Oddone) and #2 singles (Dante Bottini) by the identical scores of 6-2, 6-0 both matches provided the fans with great shots from both Drury players and both of St. Edwards players: Mario Quintero and Tyler Lyon. With those wins the Panthers held a commanding 4-1 lead. But the other four matches were all tightly-contested affairs but when Drurys Krisztian Kaplan, the Panthers #4 singles player, claimed a 6-4, 6-4 straight set win it was all irrelevant. Drury sealed the match, winning 5-1, and the Panthers were headed to the NCAA-II Sweet 16 for the sixth straight year.
This was the third time this year that Drury and St. Edwards, both members of the Heartland Conference played this year. The Panthers won the previous two matches by the identical score of 5-2. Complete results from todays second round match of the 2005 NCAA-II National Mens Tennis Tournament between Drury University and St. Edwards University follow.
Drury University vs. St. Edwards University
Drury Wins: 5-1 In Second Round of NCAA-II National Mens Tennis Championships
1. Matias Oddone/Igor Fejzula (Drury) defeated Simon Boyce/Tyler Lyon (St. Edwards) 8-2
2. Dante Bottini/Krisztian Kaplan (Drury) defeated Mario Quintero/Walter Valarezo (St. Edwards) 8-2
3. Omar Laalej/Marcus Akesson (Drury) lost to Jorge Jimenez/Kenton Venhuizen (St. Edwards) 8-3
1. Matias Oddone (Drury) defeated Mario Quintero (St. Edwards) 6-2, 6-0
2. Dante Bottini (Drury) defeated Tyler Lyon (St. Edwards) 6-2, 6-0
3. Igor Fejzula (Drury ) vs. Walter Valarezo (St. Edwards) Did Not Finish
4. Krisztian Kaplan (Drury) defeated Simon Boyce (St. Edwards) 6-4, 6-4
5. Omar Laalej (Drury) vs. J.P. Bartonico (St. Edwards) Did Not Finish
6. Marcus Akesson (Drury) vs. Kenton Venhuizen (St. Edwards) Did Not Finish