#1 Baylor 4, Prairie View A&M
#1 Baylor 4, Prairie View A&M 0May 13, 2005
WACO, Texas - Defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor cruised to a 4-0 victory over Prairie View A&M (13-9) Friday night in the first round of the NCAA Men's Tennis Tournament at the Baylor Tennis Center. With the win the 29-0 Bears advance into Saturday's 6 p.m. regional final against No. 29 Texas at the Baylor Tennis Center.
The Bears' No. 2-ranked doubles team of Benedikt Dorsch and Matija Zgaga opened the match with an 8-1 victory over the Panthers' Blessing Bvunzawabaya and Kudzai Bateman. BU's Lars Poerschke and Michal Kokta then secured the doubles point with an 8-1 win over A&M's Nicolas Bateman and Luis Godoy.
Kokta, ranked No. 106, scored a 6-1, 6-1 win over Kudzai Chiridza at No. 4 singles to give the Bears a 2-0 lead. The win was the 25th in dual match action for Kokta this season, which ties the Baylor single-season record for dual match wins.
Zgaga then posted a 6-1, 6-0 victory over David Herrera at No. 5 singles to increase the Bears advantage to 3-0. Baylor then clinched the match with Dorsch's 6-0, 6-1 victory over Bvunzawabaya.
The Bears ran their nation-best win streak to 53-straight matches with the win over the Panthers and now take aim at a fourth straight NCAA Sweet 16 trip when they take on the Longhorns for the third time this season on Saturday.
Prairie View A&M, making its first NCAA Tournament appearance, ended its season at 13-9.
1. #2 Dorsch/Zgaga, BU def. Bvunzawabaya/Chiridza, PVAMU 8-1
2. #54 Poerschke/Kokta, BU def. Bateman/L. Godoy, PVAMU 8-1
3. Becker/Reckewey, BU vs. Herrera/X. Godoy, PVAMU DNF
1. #2 Benedikt Dorsch, BU def. Blessing Bvunzawabaya, PVAMU 6-0, 6-1
2. #18 Benjamin Becker, BU vs. Andy Narido, PVAMU DNF
3. #50 Lars Poerschke, BU def. Nicolas Bateman, PVAMU DNF
4. #106 Michal Kokta, BU def. Kudzai Chiridza, PVAMU 6-1, 6-1
5. Matija Zgaga, BU def. David Herrera, PVAMU 6-1, 6-0
6. Greg Shearer, BU vs. Xavier Godoy, PVAMU DNF
-- Courtesy Baylor