#1 West Florida 5, #4 Armstrong Atlantic 1
#1 West Florida 5, #4 Armstrong Atlantic 1May 12, 2005
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.-The top-ranked and defending national champion West Florida sunk the fourth-ranked Armstrong Atlantic Pirates 5-1 to get back to the finals at the 2005 NCAA Division II National Tennis Tournament at Sanlando Park.
The Argonauts battled through three tough doubles matches to stake a 3-0 lead. Diego Zorzi and partner German Dalmagro defeated Peter Dedik and Davor Zink 8-4 at number two, while Jonas Mouly and Nicolas Barrientos battled back from 5-3 down to win 8-6 over Jeremy Mastnak and Taavo Roos at number three. At number one doubles, the eighth-ranked team from Armstrong Atlantic of Robert Jendelund and Dale White led 6-4, but UWF's third-ranked team of Paulius Jurkenas and Mario Vergara battled back to force a tiebreaker, then gutted out a 10-8 win in the tiebreaker to put the Argos up 3-0.
In singles, the Argonauts survived the loss of top player Diego Zorzi, whose balky hamstring held him out of singles for the second time in three matches at the nationals. The Argonauts' #31-ranked Mouly held off White 6-3, 6-2 to put West Florida up 4-0. Armstrong's Dedik gave the Pirates their only point with a 6-4, 6-1 win at number three over Vergara. But ninth-ranked Jurkenas stepped up to the number one slot and defeated Jendelund 7-5, 6-2 to clinch the match for the defending champs.
The loss snaps the Pirates 12-match winning streak. The third-place finish is AASU's highest ever.
The championship match is scheduled for 10:00 am on Saturday, with the Argos taking on the North Florida/Ouachita Baptist winner.
1. #9 Paulius Jurkenas (UWFM) def. #50 Robert Jendelund (AASUM) 7-5, 6-2
2. #31 Jonas Mouly (UWFM) def. Dale White (AASUM) 6-3, 6-2
3. Peter Dedik (AASUM) def. Mario Vergara (UWFM) 6-4, 6-1
4. Davor Zink (AASUM) vs. German Dalmagro (UWFM) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
5. David Secker (AASUM) vs. Nicolas Barrientos (UWFM) 6-7 (5-7), 4-4, unfinished
6. Taavo Roos (AASUM) vs. Karol Szmurlo (UWFM) 7-6 (7-4), 2-1, unfinished
1. #3 Paulius Jurkenas/Mario Vergara (UWFM) def. #8 Robert Jendelund/Dale White (AASUM) 9-8 (10-8)
2. Diego Zorzi/German Dalmagro (UWFM) def. Peter Dedik/Davor Zink (AASUM) 8-4
3. Jonas Mouly/Nicolas Barrientos (UWFM) def. Jeremy Mastnak/Taavo Roos (AASUM) 8-6
-- Courtesy Central Florida Sports Commission