#8 Duke 4, South Carolina State 0
#8 Duke 4, South Carolina State 0May 13, 2005
DURHAM, N.C. -- Duke University and Virginia Commonwealth University picked up victories in the opening round of the 2005 NCAA Men's Tennis Championship Tournament on Friday at the Ambler Tennis Stadium in Durham, N.C. The ninth-seeded Blue Devils defeated South Carolina State, 4-0, while the Rams earned a 4-2 triumph over Mississippi State.
By advancing with Friday's wins, Duke (19-5) and Virginia Commonwealth (17-10) meet on Saturday at 1 p.m. The Blue Devils and Rams met back on March 25 in Durham, with Duke claiming a 6-1 win thanks to three three-set singles victories.
The Blue Devils jumped out to a 1-0 lead over South Carolina State (20-6) by earning the doubles point. Peter Rodrigues then pushed the Duke advantage to 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Dragen Bisercic at number three singles. After Ned Samuelson posted a straight set win at number six, Peter Shults clinched the victory with his 6-2, 6-0 decision over Ionuc Hurduc at the number four flight.
1. #5 Ludovic Walter (Duke) vs. Andrew Mawire, DNF
2. #89 Jonathan Stokke (Duke) vs. Jiri Vasicek, DNF
3. Peter Rodrigues (Duke) def. Dragen Bisercic, 6-3, 6-1
4. Peter Shults (Duke) def. Ionuc Hurduc, 6-2, 6-0
5. Jason Zimmermann (Duke) vs. Patantap Chaturvedi, DNF
6. Ned Samuelson (Duke) def. Hrvoje Capin, 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 6, 4
1. Stokke & Zimmermann (Duke) vs. Hurduc & Mawire, DNF
2. Charles Brezac & Walter (Duke) def. Chaturvedi & Vasicek, 8-4
3. Rodrigues & Shults (Duke) def. Bisercic & Capin, 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2
-- Courtesy Duke