Virginia 4, Richmond
Virginia 4, Richmond 0May 13, 2005
CHARLOTTESVILLE The second ranked Virginia men's tennis team opened play at the 2005 NCAA Tournament with a 4-0 first round win over Richmond at the Snyder Tennis Center. The win was the Cavaliers 25th victory of the season, setting a new school record for wins in a year.
The Cavaliers (25-2) took control of the match early by taking the doubles point. The No. 21 ranked team of Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) and Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) got Virginia started with an 8-1 win over Derek Schwandt and Matt Cabana at No. 1 doubles. Then, the No. 39 ranked team of Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) and Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles over Jeppy Moss and Bobby McNally.
In singles, the Cavaliers clinched the match with three wins at the bottom of the lineup. Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) needed less than an hour to make the score 2-0 as he topped Brett Waikart 6-2, 6-0 at No. 6 singles. Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) increased the advantage to 3-0 when he completed a 6-1, 6-0 win over Matt Stillwagon at No. 5 singles. Huey clinched the match minutes later as he defeated Doug Banker 6-3, 6-2 at No. 4 singles.
The 25th win of the season breaks the Cavalier single season record of 24, set last season. The win was also extended the Cavaliers' school record home winning streak to 15 matches. Richmond concludes its season with a 16-7 record.
Virginia will meet the winner of the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi William & Mary first round match in a second round match Saturday. The second round match will begin at 1:00 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center.
No. 2 Virginia 4, Richmond 0
1. #21 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) def. Schwandt/Cabana (UR) 8-1
2. #39 Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Moss/McNally (UR) 8-4
3. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) led Stillwagon/Banker (UR) 6-4 DNF
1. #12 Doug Stewart (UVa) led Derek Schwandt (UR) 6-3, 5-4 DNF
2. #30 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) led Matt Cabana (UR) 6-4, 3-2 DNF
3. #39 Rylan Rizza (UVa) led Jeppy Moss (UR) 6-4, 4-3 DNF
4. Treat Huey (UVa) def. Doug Banker (UR) 6-3, 6-2
5. #112 Marko Miklo (UVa) def. Matt Stillwagon (UR) 6-1, 6-0
6. #68 Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Brett Waikart (UR) 6-2, 6-0
-- Courtesy Virginia