UCLA 4, Manhattan
UCLA 4, Manhattan 0May 14, 2005
LOS ANGELES The seventh-seeded UCLA mens tennis team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Championships Saturday, defeating Manhattan College, 4-0 in first-round regional action at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins (22-3) will next face Cal (12-9) in Sundays regional final beginning at 1:00 p.m. The winner of that match advances to next weeks round of 16 in College Station, TX. With the loss, Manhattan ends its season with a 16-5 overall record.
UCLA set the tone for the day by coming out and claiming the one point awarded for doubles play with wins at court Nos. 2 and 3. It marked the 21st time in 25 matches this season that the Bruins have won the point.
Once singles play began, UCLA went ahead 2-0 following 11th-ranked Benjamin Kohlloeffels 6-1, 6-1 victory over Diego Alvarado at court No. 2. Next to finish was court No. 6, where 85th-ranked Philipp Gruendler cruised to a 6-0, 6-2 victory over David Alvarado. Bruin senior Alberto Francis, ranked 109th in the country, clinched the match for UCLA at court No. 4, posting a 6-1, 6-0 decision over Alon Cohen.
UCLA was in control of all three remaining matches when play was suspended. Luben Pampoulov was up 6-1, 3-0 at court No. 1, Kris Kwinta was up 6-2, 5-3 at court No. 3 and Chris Lam was up 6-4, 4-1 back on court No. 4.
With the victory, UCLA runs its winning streak at the LATC to 24 in a row dating back to last season. The Bruins are 17-0 at home this year.
Tomorrows regional final will feature two teams that know each other very well, as UCLA and Cal split matches during the regular season. The Bruins defeated the Golden Bears, 7-0 on Feb. 26 at the LATC. Cal returned the favor in Berkeley, winning 4-3 on Apr. 8.
1. (19) Francis/Kwinta (UCLA) vs. Bus/Erez Cohen (MC) Susp.
2. (58) Gruendler/Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Alon Cohen/Czink (MC) 8-3
3. Lam/Pampoulov (UCLA) def. Diego Alvarado/Szymik (MC) 8-2
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. (7) Luben Pampoulov (UCLA) vs. Zoltan Bus (MC) Susp.
2. (11) Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Diego Alvarado (MC) 6-1, 6-1
3. (60) Kris Kwinta (UCLA) vs. Peter Czink (MC) Susp.
4. Chris Lam (UCLA) vs. Erez Cohen (MC) Susp.
5. (109) Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Alon Cohen (MC) 6-1, 6-0*
6. (85) Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. David Alvarado (MC) 6-0, 6-2
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Singles Order of Finish: 2, 6, 5
-- Courtesy UCLA