Tennessee 4, Ohio State
Tennessee 4, Ohio State 2May 15, 2005
KNOXVILLE, Tenn.- The Tennessee men's tennis team defeated Ohio State 4-2 behind clutch singles and doubles play Sunday to advance to the NCAA Championships next weekend at College Station, Texas.
The doubles point and the match would both come down to the No. 1 position. Senior Mark Dietrich, making his final appearance ever in a Tennessee uniform at the UT Varsity Outdoor Courts clinched the match for UT with a 6-3, 7-6 victory over Devin Mullings.
The doubles point went down to the wire with two top-10 tandems veying for the point. UT's Ockie Oosthuizen and Ben Rogers, ranked No. 9 in the latest ITA poll and Ohio State's Scott Green and Ross Wilson, ranked No. 5, battled back and forth the entire doubles match eventually going into a tie-breaker. The tie-breaker just like regulation went back and forth before OSU double falted giving Tennessee the opportunity to serve with match point and UT did not waste the advantage. The victory over Green and Wilson is the UT duo's 14th victory this season over a ranked opponent. UT's No. 2 tandem Dietrich and Morgan Wilson won 8-1 at doubles to help the Vols win the crucial doubles point. Joey Atas and Drew Eberly won at the No. 3 slot for the Buckeyes.
Wilson would give the Volunteers a short-lived 2-0 lead with a victory over Green 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 4 position but Atas would give the Buckeyes its first point with a win at No. 3 singles over Oosthuizen 6-3, 6-3.
Another UT freshman Kaden Hensel would extend UT's lead to 3-1 with his straight sets win over Eberly at the No. 6 slot.
The Volunteers will play the winner of the UCLA/California match May 21 in College Station. This is Tennessee's first trip to the NCAA Championships since 2002 when the Volunteers advanced to the semifinals.
Tennessee 4 Ohio State 2
1. No. 54 Mark Dietrich (UT) def. No. 40 Devin Mullings (OSU) 6-3, 7-6(6)
2. Bobby Cameron (UT) tied Chris Klingemann (OSU) 7-5, 2-6
3. Joey Atas (OSU) def. Ockie Oosthuizen (UT)6-4, 6-3
4. Morgan Wilson (UT) def. Scott Green (OSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Ross Wilson (OSU) def. Kiril Tcherveniachki (UT) 7-5, 6-4
6. Kaden Hensel (UT) def. Drew Eberly (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
Singles: 4, 3, 6, 5, 1
1. No. 9 Oosthuizen/Rogers (UT) def. No.5 Green/Wilson (OSU) 9-8(7)
2. Dietrich/Wilson (UT) def. Klingemann/Mullings (OSU) 8-1
3. Atas/Eberly (OSU) def. Cameron/Hensel (UT) 8-6
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
-- Courtesy Georgia