Pepperdine 4, Duke
Pepperdine 4, Duke 3May 21, 2005
COLLEGE STATION, TEXAS - Eighth-seeded Pepperdine used four singles wins including a pair of three-set decisions to defeat ninth-seeded Duke, 4-3, in the Round of 16 at the NCAA Men's Tennis Championships in College Station, Texas.
Duke ends the 2005 season at 20-6 while the Waves improve to 24-2 and advance to meet top-seeded and defending NCAA champion Baylor in the quarterfinals. The other three quarterfinal matches set for Sunday include second-seeded Virginia versus seventh-seeded UCLA, third-seeded Mississippi meeting sixth-seeded Georgia and fourth-seeded Florida against Florida State.
The Blue Devils captured the doubles point with wins at all three positions. The highlight came at the number one slot where Jonathan Stokke and Jason Zimmermann defeated the seventh-ranked duo of Scott Doerner and Pedro Rico, 8-6.
Pepperdine responded with two consecutive singles wins as Rico, ranked 25th in the nation, upended the 89th-ranked Stokke straight sets at number two while Ivor Lovrak earned a three-set triumph over Peter Shults at number four. The Waves took a 3-1 advantage on the strength of Alexis Rafidison's 6-3, 7-6 victory over Ned Samuelson at the number six flight.
Walter pulled Duke within 3-2 with a 7-6, 6-2 win over Doerner at the top flight, and Peter Rodrigues extended the match with a three-set decision over Jonas Berg at number three. In the deciding match, Pepperdine's Richard Johnson rallied from a one-set deficit to down Zimmermann, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1.
Pepperdine 4, Duke 3
1. #5 Ludovic Walter (Duke) def. #34 Scott Doerner, 7-6 (4), 6-2
2. #25 Pedro Rico (Pepperdine) def. #89 Jonathan Stokke, 6-3, 6-4
3. Peter Rodrigues (Duke) def. Jonas Berg, 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (5)
4. Ivor Lovrak (Pepperdine) def. Peter Shults, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
5. Richard Johnson (Pepperdine) def. Jason Zimmermann, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
6. Alexis Rafidison (Pepperdine) def. Ned Samuelson, 6-3, 7-6 (3)
Order of finish: 2, 4, 6, 1, 3, 5
1. Stokke & Zimmermann (Duke) def. #7 Doerner & Rico, 8-6
2. Charles Brezac & Walter (Duke) def. Berg & Lovrak, 9-8 (8)
3. Rodrigues & Shults (Duke) def. Johnson & Kevin Borzenski, 9-8 (0)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
-- Courtesy Duke