Cavs Continue Roll
Feb. 23, 2009
Courtesy of Virginia
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 1 Virginia men’s tennis team remained undefeated on the season (14-0) with a pair of wins Saturday at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers topped No. 29 Boise State 5-2 in the afternoon and Boston College 7-0 in the nightcap.
Virginia opened the match by sweeping the doubles point. Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) and Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) won at No. 1 and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) and Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) won at No. 3 to clinch the opening point. Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) and Dominic Inglot (London, England) won in a tiebreaker at No. 2 doubles to complete the sweep.
In singles, the Cavaliers took a 2-0 lead with Courtney’s win at No. 6 singles. Boise State cut the lead to 2-1 as Clancy Shields won at the No. 1 position. Steven Eelkman Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) won at No. 5 singles and Barrick won at No. 4 to clinch the win for Virginia. Singh added a superbreaker win at No. 2 over No. 57 Kean Feeder to make the final score 5-2.
Against Boston College, the Cavaliers swept the doubles matches and the singles matches. Singh and Barrick added their second win of the day, as did Courtney and Singer. Inglot and Eelkman Rooda teamed for the first time this season and won at the No. 2 position. In singles, Singh, Barrick, Eelkman Rooda and Courtney all won their second match of the day, while Singer and David Nguyen (Columbia, Md.) also added singles wins.
With the victories, the Cavaliers extended their school record home win streak to 39 matches. The win over Boston College was Virginia’s 33rd consecutive win over an ACC opponent (regular season and tournament), also extending a school record.
No. 1 Virginia 5, No. 29 Boise State 2
1. #2 Singh/Barrick (UVa) def. Feeder/Meredith (BSU) 8-3
2. #10 Inglot/Shabaz (UVa) def. C.Shields/Sarapanich (BSU) 7-6(3)
3. Singer/Courtney (UVa) def. B.Shields/Solomon (BSU) 8-6
1. #62 Clancy Shields (BSU) def. #6 Dominic Inglot (UVa) 6-4, 6-3
2. #17 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. #57 Kean Feeder (BSU) 1-6, 7-6(6), 10-5
3. James Meredith (BSU) def. #12 Michael Shabaz (UVa) 4-6 6-3, 6-4
4. #81 Houston Barrick (UVa) def. Cristian Hodel (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Steven Eelkman Rooda (UVa) def. Stanley Sarapanich (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Matt Solomon (BSU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish
No. 1 Virginia 7, Boston College 0
1. #3 Singh/Barrick (UVa) def. Nolan/Kreutzer (BC) 8-5
2. Inglot/Eelkman Rooda (UVa) def. Garber/Skinner (BC) 8-2
3. Singer/Courtney (UVa) def. Muppidi/Davison (BC) 8-2
1. #17 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Thomas Nolan (BC) 6-1, 6-1
2. #81 Houston Barrick (UVa) def. Erik Kreutzer (BC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Steven Eelkman Rooda (UVa) def. Akash Muppidi (BC) 6-2, 4-6, 10-5
4. David Nguyen (UVa) def. Alex Skinner (BC) 6-1, 7-6(4)
5. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Adam Davison (BC) 6-2, 6-0
6. #73 Lee Singer (UVa) def. Brian Locklear (BC) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish