Emory Takes Twelfth Straight
April 7, 2009
Courtesy of Emory
(Apr. 3) – The No. 1-ranked Emory men’s tennis team posted its 12th straight win Friday afternoon by defeating No. 5 Williams College. The Eagles ran their record to 14-1 following a 6-3 triumph over the Ephs who slipped to 5-2.
Emory held a 2-1 lead after doubles play as the No. 1-ranked duo of Michael and Chris Goodwin raised their record to 12-3 this spring with an 8-3 victory over Bret Thatcher and Dicken Chaplin. Senior Mark Boren and junior David Caplan provided Emory with its other doubles point at the No. 2 spot as they registered an 8-5 triumph over Nick Lebedoff and Will Petrie. The win was the third straight for Boren and Caplan and boosted their won-lost effort to 9-4.
The Eagles recorded victories in four of the six singles points. Senior Michael Goodwin topped Lededoff in three sets, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 at No. 1 while Chris Goodwin upped his win streak to seven with a 6-2, 6-3 decision over Jeremy Weinberger at the No. 2 position. Boren saw his record improve to 14-1 this spring with a 6-3, 6-4 victory against Devlin at No. 3. Junior Chris Redmond accounted for the team’s other win at No. 6, with a come-from-behind 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 verdict over Karol Furmaga, his sixth straight win and ninth in 11 outcomes at the position.
Emory returns to action on Apr. 12 with a noon home match against Christopher Newport.
Emory 6, Williams 3
1) Mike Goodwin/Chris Goodwin (E) def. Bret Thacher/Dicken Chaplin (W) --- 8-3
2) Mark Boren/David Caplan (E) def. Nick Lebedoff/Will Petrie (W) --- 8-5
3) Jeremy Weinberger/Kevin Shallcross (W) def. Oliver Lopp/Colin Egan (E) --- 9-8(4)
1) Mike Goodwin (E) def. Lebedoff (W) --- 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2) Chris Goodwin (E) def. Weinberger (W) --- 6-3, 6-4
3) Mark Boren (E) def. Rick Devlin (W) --- 6-3, 6-4
4) Will Petrie (W) def. Colin Egan (E) --- 7-6(3), 6-2
5) Kevin Shallcross (W) def. Oliver Lopp --- 3-6, 6-4, 7-5