Baylor Opens Up NCAA Tourney With 4-0 Win Over UMKC
May 8, 2009
Courtesy of Baylor
TULSA, Okla. - Baylor's men's tennis team blanked UMKC, 4-0, in NCAA Championship first-round action at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center in Tulsa, Okla., on Friday afternoon. The victory extended Baylor's season-high win streak to 13 matches and raised its season record to 24-5.
From the start of doubles to the end of singles, it took the Bears just two hours to defeat the Kangaroos and halt their season at 14-7. With the win Baylor is now 10-2 in NCAA Championship first-round competition. The Bears now move on to second round action and will take on the winner of today's TCU/Tulsa match. The second round match will be played on Saturday at 4 p.m.
"I was pleased with the way the guys competed. I thought all the guys were into the matches, fighting hard and that's what we're looking for. I thought UMKC was competitive, I thought we had to get in there and get after them a little bit and that was good for us. I think this was the perfect first round match," said head coach Matt Knoll.
The start of the match was delayed by 15 minutes after rain fell in the Tulsa area early Friday morning. Once doubles began, it took the Bears just over 30 minutes to claim the point with wins at courts one and two. BU's No. 2 doubles tandem of Denes Lukacs and Maros Horny walked off the court first with an 8-2 win over Dennis Schwarz and Erwin Quintanilla. At No. 1 doubles, David Galic and Jordan Rux, ranked No. 18, followed in short order with an 8-3 triumph over Bret Berryman and Patrick Smith.
Baylor won first sets on all six courts and led in all second-set matches but it was Attila Bucko, Julian Bley and Lukacs who finished and won the points necessary to claim the victory. Bucko, ranked No. 121, breezed to a 6-0, 6-1 win over Schwarz on court five. Bley, playing at No. 3 singles, extended his team-leading win streak to six matches by downing Serge Ristivojevic, 6-2, 6-0. The fourth-ranked Lukacs clinched the match for the Bears with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Berryman at the top spot.
#6 Baylor 4, UMKC 0
NCAA Championships First Round
May 8, 2009 at Tulsa, Okla.
(Michael D. Case Tennis Center)
Order of finish: 5, 3, 1
1. #4 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Bret Berryman (UMKC) 6-2, 6-3
2. #45 Jordan Rux (BU) vs. Patrick Smith (UMKC) 6-0, 5-2, unfinished
3. Julian Bley (BU) def. Serge Ristivojevic (UMKC) 6-2, 6-0
4. #124 Dominik Mueller (BU) vs. Gustavo Guerin (UMKC) 6-2, 3-1, unfinished
5. #121 Attila Bucko (BU) def. Dennis Schwarz (UMKC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Maros Horny (BU) vs. Erwin Quintanilla (UMKC) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 1
1. #18 David Galic/Rux (BU) def. Berryman/Smith (UMKC) 8-3
2. #64 Lukacs/Horny (BU) def. Schwarz/Quintanilla (UMKC) 8-2
3. Bley/Mueller (BU) vs. Ristivojevic/Guerin (UMKC) 6-4, unfinished