No. 17 Pepperdine Advance Past No. 40 Cal
May 8, 2009
Courtesy of Pepperdine Athletics
PALO ALTO, Calif. - Freshman Alex Llompart clinched the match for the No. 17 Pepperdine men's tennis team on Friday over No. 40 California. The victory sends the Waves to tomorrow's final against the winner of the No. 9 Stanford and Sacramento State match which will conclude this afternoon.
The Waves took an early lead by winning the doubles point with victories on courts 1 and 2. Mahmoud Kamel and Hugh Clarke (PEP) defeated Bozhidar Katsarov and Eon Heavey (CAL) 8-3 on court 2 to finish first. No. 8 nationally ranked Omar Altmann and Bassam Beidas clinched the doubles point with their victory over No. 19 Geoff Chizever and Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 8-3, on the No. 1 court.
In the singles competition, No. 44 Altmann finished first with a decisive 6-0, 6-0, straight set win over Eoin Heavey (CAL), on court 2. Pepperdine had a 2-0 lead when Kamel (PEP) defeated Katsarov (CAL), 6-1, 6-4, on court 3 to put the Waves within one-point of the team win. While No. 35 Beidas and No. 58 Zerbini were battling it out on court 1, No. 120 Llompart (PEP) took care of business on court 3 with a 6-4, 7-5, win over Richard Andrews (CAL) to clinch the match.
The Waves will play at 3 p.m. on Friday, May 9th at the Taube Family Tennis Center. The winner of the match will advance to the NCAA Division I field of sixteen team championship on May 14-25.
Tennis Match Results
California vs Pepperdine
May 08, 2009 at
#17 Pepperdine 4, #40 California 1
1. #35 Bassam Beidas (PEP) vs. #58 Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 7-6, unfinished
2. #44 Omar Altmann (PEP) def. Eoin Heavey (CAL) 6-0, 6-0
3. #120 Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Richard Andrews (CAL) 6-4, 7-5
4. Mahmoud Kamel (PEP) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) 6-1, 6-4
5. Thai Tu (CAL) def. Alex Moreno (PEP) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jensen Turner (PEP) vs. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) 7-6, unfinished
1. #8 Bassam Beidas/Omar Altmann (PEP) def. #19 Geoff Chizever/Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 8-5
2. Mahmoud Kamel/Hugh Clarke (PEP) def. Bozhidar Katsarov/Eoin Heavey (CAL) 8-3
3. Thai Tu/Nick Andrews (CAL) def. Stuart Keplar/Alex Llompart (PEP) 6-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,4,5,3)