Wake Forest Tops Northwestern 4-0
May 8, 2009
Courtesy of Wake Forest Athletics
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The Wake Forest men's tennis team defeated Northwestern 4-0 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in Lexington, Ky. Friday morning. The Deacons will now face the winner of the second first round matchup between Cleveland State and Kentucky, set to take place Friday afternoon. The second round match will begin at 1 p.m. on May 9 and can be followed online through Kentucky's live stats page.
Cory Parr and Steven Forman took the first doubles win of the day, taking down Northwestern's Marc Dwyer and Alex Sanborn 8-5 at No. 1. David Hopkins and Jon Wolff clinched the point with an 8-6 win at No. 3.
In singles, Wake's top three competitors were the first to finish. Cory Parr sprinted through his match with Dwyer, winning 6-0, 6-1. Steven Forman followed with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Alexander Thams and Jon Wolff topped Tobias Reitz 6-2, 6-3.
May 8, 2009
Lexington, Ky. (Boone Tennis Complex)
#18 Wake Forest 4, #42 Northwestern 0
Singles 1. #10 Cory Parr (WF) def. Marc Dwyer (NU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Steven Forman (WF) def. Alexander Thams (NU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jonathan Wolff (WF) def. Tobias Reitz (NU) 6-2, 6-3
4. David Hopkins (WF) led Joshua Graves (NU) 6-1, 1-2, unfinished
5. Iain Atkinson (WF) led Alex Sanborn (NU) 7-5, 3-0 unfinished
6. Andrew McCarthy( NU) led Jason Morgenstern (WF) 6-5, unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3*
1. #6 Steven Forman / Cory Parr (WF) def. Marc Dwyer / Alex Sanborn (NU) 8-5
2. Iain Atkinson / Carlos Salmon (WF) tied Joshua Graves / Tobias Reitz (NU) 8-8, unfinished
3. David Hopkins / Jonathan Wolff (WF) def. Andrew McCarthy / Alexander Thams (NU) 8-6