Amherst Defeats Roger Williams 5-0 In Second Round Play
May 9, 2009
Courtesy of Amherst Athletics
SOUTH HADLEY, MA - Amherst College cruised to a 5-0 victory over Roger Williams University Saturday morning in the second round of the 2009 NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championship. The Lord Jeffs will play Sunday in the regional finals against either The College of New Jersey or Johns Hopkins University.
Amherst's top doubles pair of Zack Lerner and Moritz Koenig looked impressive during its 8-0 win over Jeff DeNunzio and Dan Kleitz, as the Lord Jeffs quickly jumped out to a 1-0 lead over the Hawks. The #2 pair of Priit Gross and Austin Chafetz was next to finish, giving Amherst a 2-0 lead with an 8-4 victory over Kyle Baker and Brad Bolte. Andrew Jung and Wes Waterman teamed up to complete the clean sweep for Amherst's doubles pairs, earning an 8-3 win over Jeffrey Agonia and Ryan Kim.
Waterman carried his momentum into singles play, as he cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 win over Baker in the #6 matchup. Jung wrapped things up for Amherst just minutes later with a 6-0, 6-2 win over DeNunzio at #3. The Lord Jeffs' four other singles players were all leading their respective matches when Jung sealed the team's victory, with Lerner overcoming an early 3-0 deficit to win his first set, 6-4.
Amherst improves to 25-6 with the impressive victory, while Roger Williams' phenomenal season comes to a close at 18-7.
NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Regional Second Round
Amherst College def. Roger Williams University, 5-0
Saturday, May 9 at Mount Holyoke College * 9 a.m.
1. Zack Lerner/Moritz Koenig (A) def. Jeff DeNunzio/Dan Kleitz (R), 8-0
2. Priit Gross/Austin Chafetz (A) def. Kyle Baker/Brad Bolte (R), 8-4
3. Andrew Jung/Wes Waterman (A) def. Jeffrey Agonia/Ryan Kim (R), 8-3
1. Zack Lerner (A) leads Brad Bolte (R) 6-4, 2-0
2. Austin Chafetz (A) leads Ryan Kim (R) 6-1, 5-0
3. Andrew Jung (A) def. Jeff DeNunzio (R) 6-0, 6-2
4. Moritz Koenig (A) leads David Lange (R) 6-3, 3-0
5. Priit Gross (A) leads Dan Kleitz (R) 6-3, 1-0
6. Wes Waterman (A) def. Kyle Baker (R) 6-1, 6-0