Williams Advances to NCAA Quarterfinal in Defeat of Bowdoin, 5-1
May 10, 2009
WILLIAMSTOWN, MA. - The Williams men's tennis team (14-5) advanced to their thirteenth consecutive NCAA Quarterfinals over Bowdoin College (12-8), 5-1. Fighting against windy weather and chilly conditions, senior captain Karol Furmaga won the decisive fifth point at court six over Bowdoin's Josh Cranin, 6-3, 7-5.
"It is a great feeling right now," said William's head coach Dave Donn. "I'm very happy for our seniors. It's a great accomplishment for them to have reached the Elite 8 for four straight years, and it is a testament to all their hard work. This win was for our seniors today."
The Ephs took a 2-1 lead out of doubles play. Bowdoin's number one pair of Jamie Neely and Oscar Pena took charge at court one over Dicken Chaplin and Bret Thacher, defeating the Williams pair, 8-1. Jeremy Weinberger and Kevin Shallcross delivered a win at court three, 8-3, to even the score while Nick Lebedoff and Will Petrie muscled out a 9-7 win over their Bowdoin counterparts at court two.
Freshman Kevin Shallcross had another speedy win at court five over Neely, 6-2. 6-4. Another senior captain, Rick Devlin, contributed with a win at court three over Alex Caughron, 6-4, 6-3, before Furmaga iced the win.
"We knew Bowdoin was going to be tough coming in," continued Donn. "It was a tough match and they fight to the last point, so we needed to stay focused from the first point to the last and we kept our composure and played well."
Williams will head to California to take on UC Santa Cruz on Tuesday, May 19. UC Santa Cruz is currently ranked third in the nation, while Williams is ranked eighth.
Williams 5, Bowdoin 1
1) Pena/Neely (B) def. Chaplin/Thacher (W) --- 8-1
2) Lebedoff/Petrie (W) def. Sullivan/Caughron (B) --- 9-7
3) Weinberger/Shallcross (W) def. White/Cranin (B) --- 8-3
1) Nick Lebedoff (W) vs. Stephan Sullivan (B) --- 6-2, 1-6, 3-3
2) Jeremy Weinberger (W) led Oscar Pena (B) --- 6-4, 4-6, 5-2
3) Rick Devlin (W) def. Alex Caughron (B) --- 6-4, 6-3
4) Will Petrie (W) led Alex White (B) --- 7-6(8), 5-4
5) Kevin Shallcross (W) def. Jamie Neely (B) --- 6-2, 6-4
6) Karol Furmaga (W) def. Josh Cranin (B) --- 6-3, 7-5