Oklahoma Drops Tulsa 4-0, Advance To Second Round
May 14, 2010
Courtesy of TulsaHurricane.com
Norman, Oklahoma - The University of Tulsa's 40th-ranked men's tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision to 20th-ranked Oklahoma in first round action of the NCAA Tennis Championships on Friday night at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman, Okla.
The Sooners improved to 17-7 on the season, while the Golden Hurricane concluded the season with a 16-11 overall mark.
TU's Alastair Barnes and Grant Ive recorded an 8-4 win in the No. 2 doubles position, but OU's Blake Boswell and Lawrence Formentera pulled out a close, 9-8 (3), victory over Marcelo Arevalo and Marko Ballok in the No. 3 slot to knot up the doubles point. Oklahoma's 18th-ranked Andrei Daescu and Costin Paval captured an 8-6 win over 24th-ranked Philip Stephens and Ashley Watling in the No. 1 position to give the Sooners the doubles point.
Formentera quickly gave OU a 2-0 lead as he topped Ive, 6-1, 6-0, in the No. 6 slot, and then 74th-ranked Paval notched a 6-4, 6-1 win in the No. 3 position to make it 3-0.
David Pultr netted the match-winning point as he earned a 7-6 (6), 6-2 victory over Barnes in the No. 4 slot, while matches at the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 5 positions were unfinished.
This was Tulsa's 12th team appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
#20 Oklahoma def. #40 Tulsa, 4-0
1. #18 Andrei Daescu/Costin Paval (OU) def. #24 Philip Stephens/Ashley Watling (TU), 8-6
2. Alastair Barnes/Grant Ive (TU) def. Ionut Beleleu/David Pultr (OU), 8-4
3. Blake Boswell/Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Marcelo Arevalo/Marko Ballok (TU), 9-8 (3)
1. #28 Andrei Daescu (OU) vs. #42 Marcelo Arevalo (TU), DNF
2. #65 Ionut Beleleu (OU) vs. #60 Ashley Watling (TU), DNF
3. #74 Costin Paval (OU) def. Philip Stephens (TU), 6-4, 6-1
4. David Pultr (OU) def. Alastair Barnes (TU), 7-6 (6), 6-2
5. George Chanturia (OU) vs. Marko Ballok (TU), DNF
6. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Grant Ive (TU), 6-1, 6-0
Doubles: 2, 3, 1; Singles: 6, 3, 4