May 7, 2010
Courtesy of Abilene Christian
ABILENE — It didn’t take very long for the ACU Wildcats to establish themselves as the dominant force on the courts Friday afternoon as they rolled to an easy 5-0 win over Incarnate Word in the NCAA Division II South Central Region women’s tennis tournament championship match at the Eager Tennis Center.
The Wildcats (27-7) won all three doubles matches over the Cardinals and never looked back as they claimed their 23rd women’s regional tennis title and 15th straight. ACU is also making its 15th straight appearance in the national tournament, which will begin Wednesday, May 12, at Sanlando Park in Altamonte Springs, Fla.
The only match that was remotely close for the Wildcats was at No. 3 doubles where the team of Dina Pavlin and Lauren White were pushed to the limit by Stephanie and Karen Rodriguez before the ACU duo finally pulled out a 9-7 win.
Julia Mongin won 6-0, 6-0, over Stephanie Rodriguez at No. 2 singles and Hannah Kelley won over Alex Adams, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 5 singles to close out the match.
NCAA DIVISON II SOUTH CENTRAL REGION
WOMEN’S TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP
Friday, May 7
Abilene Christian 5, Incarnate Word 0
2. Julia Mongin, ACU, def. Stephanie Rodriguez, UIW, 6-0, 6-0
5. Hannah Kelley, ACU, def. Alex Adams, UIW, 6-1, 6-1
1. Jaclyn Walker-Julia Mongin, ACU, def. Gretchen Trautmann-Adriana Hernandez, UIW, 8-1
2. Cassie Carver-Hannah Kelley, ACU, def. Erica Engberg-Alex Adams, UIW, 8-4
3. Dina Pavlin-Lauren White, ACU, def. Stephanie Rodriguez-Karen Rodriguez, UIW, 9-7