May 24, 2010
Courtesy of Georgia
ATHENS, Ga.—–The No. 3 seed Florida advanced to the NCAA Women’s Tennis National Championship match with a 4-0 win over the No. 2 seed North Carolina Monday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
The Gators (29-2) will face the winner of Notre Dame and Stanford Monday at 2 p.m.
“We knew playing North Carolina that we’d have our hands full,” said Florida head coach Roland Thornqvist. “We played them two months ago and even though we won 6-1, we were pushed to the brink on every court. We showed some real resilience in singles and were able to show our grit and determination. Overall, North Carolina was very tough and I was very pleased with the way we played against them today. It’s a good feeling going to the championship match tomorrow. This is my sixth final four in my nine years at Florida and it feels good to be back here again. We talked in the locker room about being prepared and ready to go today and we wanted our team to play knowing that we had done everything we possibly could have done to be prepared. We’re glad to still be playing tomorrow and to still have an opportunity to win the national championship.”
The Gators won the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. At No. 3, Caroline Hitimana and Anastasia Revzina beat the tandem of Jelena Durisic and Jocelyn Ffriend, 8-1, at No. 3. The Gators clinched the point at No. 2 with an 8-4 win by the 29th-ranked team of Lauren Embree and Joanna Mather over No. 31 Katrina Tsang and Shinann Featherston.
Florida moved ahead 2-0 at No. 3 with No. 65 Marrit Boonstra’s 6-2, 6-2 win over Sophie Grabinski. Eighth-ranked Allie Will notched a 6-3, 6-3 win over No. 54 Tsang at No. 2, then No. 9 Embree clinched the match at No. 1 with a 6-2, 1-6, 7-5 win over No. 21 Sanaz Marand.
#3 FLORIDA (29-2) def. #2 NORTH CAROLINA (30-5), 4-0
Doubles (Order of finish: 3,2)
1. #5 Marrit Boonstra/Allie Will (FLORIDA) vs. #13 Sanaz Marand/Sophie Grabinski (NORTH CAROLINA), 6-3, unf.
2. #29 Lauren Embree/Joanna Mather (FLORIDA) def. #31 Katrina Tsang/Shinann Featherston (NORTH CAROLINA), 8-4 3. Caroline Hitimana/Anastasia Revzina (FLORIDA) def. Jelena Durisic /Jocelyn Ffriend (NORTH CAROLINA), 8-1
Singles (Order of finish: 3,2,1*)
1. #9 Lauren Embree (FLORIDA) def. #21 Sanaz Marand (NORTH CAROLINA), 6-2, 1-6, 7-5 2. #8 Allie Will (FLORIDA) def. #54 Katrina Tsang (NORTH CAROLINA), 6-3, 6-3 3. #65 Marrit Boonstra (FLORIDA) def. Sophie Grabinski (NORTH CAROLINA), 6-2, 6-2 4. #102 Anastasia Revzina (FLORIDA) vs. Gina Suarez-Malaguti (NORTH CAROLINA), 4-6, 6-4, 3-3, unf.
5. Joanna Mather (FLORIDA) vs. Shinann Featherston (NORTH CAROLINA), 6-2, 3-6, 4-3, unf.
6. Claire Bartlett (FLORIDA) vs. Zoe De Bruycker (NORTH CAROLINA), 5-7, 2-2, unf.