Kutztown 5, Bryant 1
Kutztown 5, Bryant 1May 6, 2005
KUTZTOWN, PA - Kutztown defeated Bryant 5-1 for its first NCAA East Regional Championship and a trip to NCAA finals.
The Golden Bears (14-2) won two of the three doubles matches, and came close to sweeping all three points. Kerstin Kloeffer and Priya Pachkawde won 8-5 at first doubles and Amy Withers and Jharna Nansi followed suit with an 8-4 win at second doubles. At third doubles, Bryant's Lauren Mullen and Michelle Burke held off a comeback bid by KU's Bianca Blatz and Lauren Losoncy for a 9-7 win for the Bulldogs (22-2).
All three completed singles matches went in favor of Kutztown in straight sets. Each KU player dropped only a single game in their victories. Kloeffer won 6-1, 6-0 at first singles and Nansi took a 6-0, 6-1 score at fourth singles as the Golden Bears went ahead, 4-1. Withers then sealed the match with a 6-0, 6-1 win at second singles.
The loss was just the second for Bryant in 24 matches this season and snapped a 13-match win streak.
Kutztown will now advance to the final 16 in Altamonte Springs, Fla., with the Central Florida Sports Commission and Sunshine State Conference serving as co-hosts, May 11-14.
1. Kerstin Kloeffer/Priya Pachkawde (K) def. Sacha Solomon/Annette Jervasi (B) 8-5
2. Amy Withers/Jharna Nansi (K) def. Alex Spence/Alanna Santanello (B) 8-4
3. Lauren Mullen/Michelle Burke (B) def. Bianca Blatz/Lauren Losoncy (K) 9-7
1. Kerstin Kloeffer (K) def. Sacha Solomon (B) 6-1, 6-0
2. Amy Withers (K) def. Alex Spence (B) 6-0, 6-1
3. Priya Pachkawde (K) vs. Annette Jervasi (B) 6-3, 1-0 (did not finish)
4. Jharna Nansi (K) def. Michelle Burke (B) 6-0, 6-1
5. Lauren Losoncy (K) vs. Alanna Santanello (B) 6-3, 4-1 (did not finish)
6. Bianca Blatz (K) vs. Lauren Mullen (B) 6-2, 0-3 (did not finish)
Team Records: Bryant 22-2, Kutztown 14-2
-- Courtesy Kutztown University