No. 11 UC San Diego 5, Cal State L.A.
No. 11 UC San Diego 5, Cal State L.A. 0May 6, 2005
LA JOLLA, Calif. - The 11th-ranked UC San Diego women's tennis team defeated Cal State L.A. by a 5-0 score in the first round of the NCAA Division II West Regional on Friday at the Northview Tennis Courts on the UCSD campus. The Tritons improved to 18-3 on the season and advance on to play Hawaii-Hilo in round two on Saturday. That match will begin at 2 p.m. Cal State L.A.'s season ends with a 7-7 record.
The Tritons took a commanding 3-0 lead after the doubles portion of the match. Katie McKee and Kristin Bronowicki posted a decisive 8-0 victory at the No. 2 spot while Tara Siddiqui and Marsha Malinow won by an 8-1 margin at the top doubles position. Jasmin Dao and Marissa Hilker rounded out the doubles sweep with an 8-2 victory at the No. 3 spot on the ladder.
Needing only two more points to claim victory in the match, UCSD did not take long to wrap it up as Siddiqui won by scores of 6-0 and 6-1 at the No. 4 spot for the Tritons' fourth point. Leigh Roberts concluded the match with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at the No. 6 spot. The other four singles matches were abandoned with UCSD leading in each.
No. 11 UC San Diego 5, Cal State L.A. 0
1. Marsha Malinow (UCSD) led Charise Godoy (CSULA) 6-4, 2-0
2. Jasmin Dao (UCSD) led Dana Popescu (CSULA) 5-3
3. Marissa Hilker (UCSD) led Maggie Bollinger (CSULA) 7-5
4. Tara Siddiqui (UCSD) def. Ronalyn Miller (CSULA) 6-0, 6-1
5. Katie McKee (UCSD) led Kimmy Barnes (CSULA) 6-1, 4-3
6. Leigh Roberts (UCSD) def. Kim Godoy (CSULA) 6-0, 6-0
1. Siddiqui/Malinow (UCSD) def. Miller/Popescu (CSULA) 8-1
2. McKee/Bronowicki (UCSD) def. Barnes/Bollinger (CSULA) 8-0
3. Dao/Hilker (UCSD) def. Godoy/Godoy (CSULA) 8-2
-- Courtesy UC San Diego