#3 Nebraska-Omaha 5, #2 Washburn
#3 Nebraska-Omaha 5, #2 Washburn 2May 7, 2005
TOPEKA -- The Washburn Lady Blues season came to an end with a 5-2 loss to Nebraska-Omaha on Saturday at the Washburn Tennis Complex. With the win, the Mavericks win the North Central Regional pod and advance to the NCAA National Sweet 16 May 11-14 in Alamonte Springs, Fla.
The Mavericks swept the doubles competition jumping out to an early 3-0 lead. At No. 1 doubles, the duo of Maggie Russell and Pam Le rolled off seven straight points for an 8-1 win. The Nos. 2 and 3 doubles were both 8-6 wins for UNO.
In singles play, the Lady Blues' Audrie Miller put Washburn on the board with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Sarah Huls at No. 5 singles. Pam Le gave the Mavericks another point after topping Alicia Gardner 6-4, 6-1 at No. 4 singles. Washburn's Julie Huyberechts picked up a straight-set win over UNO's Lindsay Henjum 7-5, 6-2 to give the Lady Blues their final point of the match.
The Mavericks closed out the match at No. 1 singles as Katie Schmidt defeated Jennifer Keiner at No. 1 sinlges 7-6 (7-3), 6-4.
The Lady Blues finish the season with a 21-5 record and UNO improved to 16-5 on the season.
Tennis Match Results
Nebraska-Omaha vs Washburn
May 07, 2005 at Topeka, Kan.
#3 Nebraska-Omaha 5, #2 Washburn 2
1. Schmidt,Katie (UNO) def. Keiner,Jennifer (WU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
2. Day,Caitlin (WU) vs. Russell,Maggie (UNO) 5-7, 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
3. Huyberechts,Julie (WU) def. Henjum,Lindsay (UNO) 7-5, 6-2
4. Le,Pam (UNO) def. Gardner,Alicia (WU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Miller,Audrie (WU) def. Huls,Sarah (UNO) 6-1, 6-0
6. Castillo,Kris (WU) vs. Wilson,Abby (UNO) 6-1, 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
1. Le,Pam/Russell,Maggie (UNO) def. Keiner,Jennifer/Day,Caitlin (WU) 8-1
2. Schmidt,Katie/Wilson,Abby (UNO) def. Castillo,Kris/Huyberechts,Julie (WU) 8-6
3. Huls,Sarah/Henjum,Lindsay (UNO) def. Rodenbeek,Alex/Harris,Lauren (WU) 8-6
Nebraska-Omaha 16-5; Regional ranking #3
Washburn 21-5; National ranking #33; Regional ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,4,3,1)
North Central Regional Championship Match - UNO sweeps doubles matches.
Winner advances to NCAA National Tournament May 11-14 in Altamonte Springs, Fla.
UNO tops Washburn 5-2. Washburn finishes the season 21-5. UNO improves to 16-5.
-- Courtesy Washburn University