UC San Diego 5, Hawaii-Hilo
UC San Diego 5, Hawaii-Hilo 0May 5, 2005
LA JOLLA, Calif. - The UC San Diego womens tennis team advanced to the NCAA Division II Round of 16 with a convincing 5-0 in the West Regional Final on Saturday afternoon at the Northview Tennis Courts on the campus of UCSD. With the win the 11th-ranked Tritons improve to 19-3 on the season while UHHs season ends with its loss to UCSD.
The Tritons jumped out to an early 3-0 lead after sweeping the doubles portion of the match. Jasmin Dao and Marissa Hilker had the easiest go of things, defeating Wendy Owen and Sayaka Fukumoto by an 8-2 score. Marsha Malinow and Tara Siddiqui teamed up for an 8-6 win at the No. 1 spot while Kristin Bronowicki and Katie McKee combined for an 8-4 win at No. 2.
Malinow came out in the singles portion of the match and cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Mai Fujii at the No. 1 spot while Dao posted a 6-0, 6-1 win over Eve Viquenault at the No. 2 singles for match.
The Tritons led in two of the other singles matches while the other two were tied before they were abandoned with UCSD having the needed five points for the match victory.
UCSD advances to the round of 16 that will be contested May 12-15 in Altamonte Springs, Fla. The Tritons avenge the loss that UHH handed it in the same round last year in Hilo.
UC San Diego 5, Hawaii-Hilo 0
NCAA D-II Womens Tennis Second Round
1. Marsha Malinow (UCSD) def. Mai Fujii (UCSD) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jasmin Dao (UCSD) def. Eve Viquenault(UHH) 6-0, 6-1
3. Marissa Hilker (UCSD) led Tiana Lum-Tucker (UHH) 6-2, 2-5
4. Tara Siddiqui (UCSD) led Wendy Owen (UHH) 6-1, 5-0
5. Katie McKee (UCSD) led Krystal Hangai (UHH) 6-1, 5-4
6. Leigh Roberts (UCSD) led Sayaka Fukumoto (UHH) 6-7, 2-1
1. Malinow/Siddiqui (UCSD) def. Fijii/Lum-Tucker (UHH) 8-6
2. Bronowicki/Mckee (UCSD) def. Hangai/Vicquenault (UHH) 8-4
3. Dao/Hilker (UCSD) def. Owen/Fukumoto (UHH) 8-2
-- Courtesy UC San Diego