Baylor 4, Niagara
Baylor 4, Niagara 0May 13, 2005
PROVO, Utah - The 14th-ranked Baylor women's tennis team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the third time in school history with a 4-0 win over Niagara at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts in Provo, Utah on Friday morning.
The victory set a new Baylor women's tennis record for most wins in a season at 23, beating the 22 wins posted by the program in 2000 and 2001. The Lady Bears are now 23-5 on the season while Niagara ends it season at 15-9.
Baylor will take on 21st-ranked BYU on Saturday, May 14 at 11 a.m. (CDT). The winner of that match will advance to the Round of 16 (May 19) at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga. BYU posted a 4-1 victory over 36th-ranked Sacramento State to advance to the second round.
With her doubles victory with Zuzana Cerna today, Daniela Covello tied the program record for most doubles wins in a season with 28. She shares No. 1 with Katja Kovac a 28 match winner during the 2000-01 season.
It took the Lady Bears only 35 minutes to earn the doubles point against Niagara. Zuzana Zemenova and Carolin Walter, playing on court two, walked off the court first after cruising to an 8-2 win over Jacquelyn Cary and Julianne Prokopich. At the top court, 23rd-ranked Covello and Cerna posted an 8-2 win over Miriam Al-Shikarchy and Danielle Greiner to extend their win streak to six matches. Klara Zrustova and Carolin Korsawe were leading 7-1 on court three when play was halted.
In singles, Niagara won only four games on the day before play was halted. All three completed matches were by 6-0, 6-0 scores. Covello, at No. 4, was first off the court for Baylor followed by Walter at court three and Zemenova at the top spot. Zemenova's victory extended her win streak to 10 matches while Walter recorded her seventh straight triumph. All remaining BU players were leading their matches when play was suspended. Cerna, at No. 2. was leading 6-1, 5-1, Zrustova was up 6-0, 3-1 on court five and Zuzana Krchnakova was ahead 6-1, 3-1 at the No. 6 spot.
Baylor beat Niagara: 4-0
1. Zuzana Cerna/Daniela Covello (BU) def. Mariam Al-Shikarchy/ Danielle Grenier (NU) 8-2
2. Zuzana Zemenova/Carolin Walter (BU) def. Jacquelyn Cary/Julieanne Prokopich (NU) 8-2
3. Caroline Korsawe/Klara Zrustova (BU) vs. Kendra Daigler/Shella Gargout (NU) dnf
1. Z. Zemenova (BU) def. M.Al-Shikarchy (NU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Z. Cerna (BU) vs. D.Grenier (NU) dnf, 6-1, 5-0
3. C. Walter (BU) def. K. Daigler (NU) 6-0, 6-0
4. D. Covello (BU) def. J. Cary (NU) 6-0, 6-0
5. K. Zrustova (BU) vs. J. Prokopich (NU) dnf 6-0, 3-1
6. Z. Kvchnakova (BU) vs. S. Dargout (NU) dnf. 6-1, 3-1
-- Courtesy Baylor