Georgia 4, Quinnipiac
Georgia 4, Quinnipiac 0May 13, 2005
ATHENS, Ga. The eighth-seeded University of Georgia womens tennis team advanced past Quinnipiac by a score of 4-0 in the opening round of the 2005 NCAA Tournament Friday afternoon at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. Georgias Caroline Basu clinched the match for the Bulldogs with a 6-0, 6-1 defeat of Amanda Petruzzi at No. 3 singles.
Its been a long time since our last match at the SEC Tournament, said Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace. We came out today and were focused, we played hard. I told them to get after it and get through this first match.
Georgia won the doubles point to get off to an early 1-0 lead. The Bulldogs third doubles team of Natalie Frazier and Jitka Shonfeldova was first off the court as it downed Danielle Rodriguez and Amy Sarazin, 8-1. The nations top-ranked team of Carolina Basu and Shadisha Robinson then closed out the doubles point with an 8-2 victory over Gabby Pasternak and Tina Hoang at No.1.
Weve been very comfortable playing together this year, said Basu. To be ranked No. 1 doesnt really mean a whole lot right now; its just a number to us. We know we have to go out each time and play well.
In singles action, Evgenia Subbotina gave Georgia a 2-0 edge with a win at No. 5 singles, 6-1, 6-0 over Katherine Ehle. Minutes later, Kelley Hyndman extended the lead to 3-0 as she blanked Liz Axler at No. 5, 6-0, 6-0, setting Basu up for the clinch.
The Bulldogs will face the winner of the Nebraska/South Carolina match at 4 p.m. Saturday afternoon.
#8 Georgia 4, Quinnipiac 0
1. #10 Shadisha Robinson (UGA) vs. Gabby Pasternak (QU) 6-3, 3-0, unfinished
2. #27 Natalie Frazier (UGA) vs. Tina Hoang (QU) 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
3. Carolina Basu (UGA) def. Amanda Petruzzi (QU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Kelley Hyndman (UGA) def. Liz Axler (QU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Evgenia Subbotina (UGA) def. Katherine Ehle (QU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Jitka Schonfeldova (UGA) vs. Danielle Rodriguez (QU) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
1. #1 Carolina Basu/Shadisha Robinson (UGA) def. Gabby Pasternak/Tina Hoang (QU) 8-2
2. Evgenia Subbotina/Kelley Hyndman (UGA) vs. Liz Axler/Katherine Ehle (QU) 7-2, unfinished
3. Natalie Frazier/Jitka Schonfeldova (UGA) def. Danielle Rodriguez/Amy Sarrazin (QU) 8-1
Georgia 16-7; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,4,3)
Round 1 NCAA Tournament
Georgia - No. 8 Seed; Quinnipiac - No. 49-64 Seed
Official: Walt Williams T-1:44 A-48
-- Courtesy Georgia