UCLA 4, Illinois State
UCLA 4, Illinois State 0May 13, 2005
LOS ANGELES Seventh-seeded UCLA posted a 4-0 decision over Illinois State in the first round of the NCAA Womens Tennis Championships Friday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Bruins (16-5) move on to face Washington (15-8) in Saturdays second round with the winner advancing to next weeks round of 16 in Athens, Ga. The Huskies moved on to the second round following a 4-0 victory over Long Beach State earlier in the day. With the loss, Illinois State ends its season with an 18-8 overall record.
UCLA came out strong from the start, quickly capturing the doubles point for a 1-0 lead in the match. In singles play, Bruin junior Laura Gordon, ranked 98th nationally, gave UCLA a 2-0 lead following her 6-1, 6-0 decision over Matea Simovic at court No. 6. The Bruins would go ahead 3-0 shortly thereafter when 11th-ranked Daniela Bercek lost just two games en route to a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Laura Gravino at court No. 1.
Bruin freshman Riza Zalameda clinched the match for UCLA at the No. 2 spot, defeating Elizabeth Brngier, 6-3, 6-0. Zalameda checks in at No. 26 in the latest ITA Singles Rankings. UCLAs Alex McGoodwin, Sarah Gregg and Tracy Lin had all won the first set and were leading in the second set of their matches when play was suspended.
UCLA and Washington have met once already this season, with the Bruins posting a 5-2 victory in Seattle back on March 11.
1. (4) Bercek/Zalameda (UCLA) def. Gravino/Parent (ISU) 8-0
2. Gordon/McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Ashley Maxwell/Parke-Bedard (ISU) 8-1
3. Gregg/Lin (UCLA) def. Bingier/Simovic (ISU) Susp.
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. (11) Daniela Bercek (UCLA) def. Laura Gravino (ISU) 6-1, 6-1
2. (26) Riza Zalameda (UCLA) def. Elizabeth Bingier (ISU) 6-3, 6-0*
3. (102) Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) vs. Veronique Parke-Bedard (ISU) Susp.
4. Sarah Gregg (UCLA) vs. Emilie Sechaud (ISU) Susp.
5. (111) Tracy Lin (UCLA) vs. Carolyne Parent (ISU) Susp.
6. (98) Laura Gordon (UCLA) def. Matea Simovic (ISU) 6-1, 6-0
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Singles Order of Finish: 6, 1, 2
-- Courtesy UCLA