Armstrong Atlantic 5, BYU-Hawaii
Armstrong Atlantic 5, BYU-Hawaii 3May 14, 2005
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.The second-ranked Pirates of Armstrong Atlantic (30-0) would not play second fiddle to the defending national champions from BYU-Hawaii (29-1), pulling off a stunning 5-3 win to snap the nations longest winning streak and earn them the 2005 NCAA Division II Womens Tennis National Championship.
The teams split the top two doubles. The Pirates duo of Manuela Emmrich and Caroline Grage, ranked number eight, staged a minor upset of the Seasiders seventh-ranked pair of Tetyana Bula and Petra Teller 8-3. The number one team in the country, BYUs Jing Jing Liu and Adrienn Hegedus, defeated the fourth-ranked team of Luisa Cowper and Laura Peaty 8-5 to even the match.
But at number three doubles, Armstrongs Dziyana Nazaruk and Johanna Dahlback put the Pirates up 2-1 with an 8-5 win of their own over Gurianna Korinihona and Crystal Schwenke.
Entering singles down 2-1, the Seasiders dynamic duo of Liu and Hegedus quickly reversed the deficit. Liu, who recovered from a first set loss in the quarterfinals to Columbus States Diana Gherghi to win her last two matches, defeated #4-ranked Cowper 6-1, 6-0. Hegedus was almost as dominant, defeating Nazaruk 6-2, 6-0 at number two.
But the bottom flights began to swing toward the Pirates. Peaty posted a 6-2, 6-3 win over Trisha Piercy at number six to even the team score 3-3. The Pirates reclaimed the lead when unranked Emmrich pulled a 6-4, 6-0 upset of #14-ranked Teller at number four. Dahlback (ranked 21) put the nail in the coffin by knocking off seventh-ranked Bula 6-3, 6-1 at number three.
The win for the Pirates snapped the Seasiders 130-match winning streak and handed them just their second loss since joining the NCAA in 1999.
The championship was the third for Armstrong, with the first two coming back-to-back in 1995 and 1996.
Tennis Match Results
Armstrong Atlantic vs BYU-Hawai'i
May 14, 2005 at Altamonte Springs, Fla.
#2 Armstrong Atlantic 5, #1 BYU-Hawai'i 3
1. #1 Jing Jing Liu (BYUHW) def. #4 Luisa Cowper (AASUW) 6-1, 6-0
2. #2 Adrienn Hegedus (BYUHW) def. #17 Dziyana Nazaruk (AASUW) 6-2, 6-0
3. #21 Johanna Dahlback (AASUW) def. #7 Tetyana Bula (BYUHW) 6-3, 6-1
4. Manuela Emmrich (AASUW) def. #14 Petra Teller (BYUHW) 6-4, 6-0
5. #37 Gurianna Korinihona (BYUHW) vs. Caroline Grage (AASUW) 6-2, 3-6, 2-1, unfinished
6. Laura Peaty (AASUW) def. Trisha Piercy (BYUHW) 6-2, 6-3
1. #1 Jing Jing Liu/Adrienn Hegedus (BYUHW) def. #4 Luisa Cowper/Laura Peaty (AASUW) 8-5
2. #8 Manuela Emmrich/Caroline Grage (AASUW) def. #7 Tetyana Bula/Petra Teller (BYUHW) 8-3
3. Dziyana Nazaruk/Johanna Dahlback (AASUW) def. Gurianna Korinihona/Crystal Schwenke (BYUHW) 8-5
Armstrong Atlantic 30-0; National ranking #2
BYU-Hawai'i 29-1; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (,1,2,6)
Armstrong Atlantic wins 2005 NCAA Division II Women's Tennis National Championship
-- Courtesy Central Florida Sports Commission