Southern California 4, UCLA
Southern California 4, UCLA 3May 19, 2005
Athens, GA - The No. 10-seeded UCLA women's tennis team lost to cross-town rival USC, 4-3, in the third round of the NCAA Championships in Athens, GA. UCLA had a 3-0 lead fade away after four consecutive Trojan wins on courts 2, 3, 5 and 4.
The Bruins jumped out to a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point, with an 8-4 win by Daniela Bercek / Riza Zalameda on court one and an 8-6 victory by Laura Gordon / Alex McGoodwin at court two.
In singles play, the Bruins increased their lead to 3-0 quickly with straight-set wins by Gordon at the No. 6 position, 6-1, 7-6 over Judy DeVera, and by 11th-ranked Bercek over ninth-ranked Nicole Leimbach at the No. 1 position, 6-3, 6-2. UCLA won the first set on courts three and five, but USC came back to win both of those matches, along with the match on court two. It came down to a three-set match on court four between USC's Dianna Matias and UCLA's Sarah Gregg. Matias won the first set, 6-4, and Gregg battled back to tie it with a second-set win, 7-6. Matias took a 4-1 lead in the third set, which Gregg cut to 4-3, but Matias won the next two points to clinch the win for USC.
UCLA's season ends at 17-6, while seventh-ranked USC (19-3) advances to the quarterfinals to face No. 2 Florida.
1. (4)Bercek/Zalameda (UCLA) def. (45) Nelson/Anastasiu (USC) 8-4
2. Gordon/McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Leimbach/Dianna Matias (USC) 8-6
3. Gregg/Lin (UCLA) vs. Monika Kolbovic/Simpson (UW) Susp.
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. (11) Daniela Bercek (UCLA) def. (9) Nicole Leimbach (USC) 6-3, 6-2
2. (16) Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. (26) Riza Zalameda (UCLA) 7-6, 6-4
3. (53) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) 2-6, 7-6, 6-0
4. (94) Dianna Matias (USC) def. Sarah Gregg (UCLA) 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
5. Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Tracy Lin (UCLA) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. (96) Laura Gordon (UCLA) def. Judy DeVera (USC) 6-1, 7-6
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Singles Order of Finish: 6, 1, 2, 3, 5, 4
-- Courtesy UCLA