Ithaca Completes 5-0 Sweep Of Wilkes In NCAA First Round
May 8, 2009
Courtesy of Ithaca
Pittsburgh, Pa. – The Ithaca women’s tennis team (15-7) swept three doubles matches and won the first two singles matches completed in a 5-0 win over Wilkes (17-1) in an NCAA Tournament first round match at Carnegie Mellon. Ithaca advances to face the top seed and host institution, Carnegie Mellon, Saturday at 2 p.m.
Ithaca took a 3-0 lead behind an exciting win at first doubles by sophomore Agata Kubik (C.K. Norwid Gen. Lyceum/Czestochowa, Poland) and senior Natalie Jenereski (Knoch/Butler, Pa.). Kubik and Jenereski rallied to force a tiebreak in their match, and won the breaker by a score of 13-11 to give the Bombers all of the momentum heading into singles matches.
Straight-set wins at third singles by senior Alyssa Jaffe (Pascack Hills/Montvale, N.J.) and at fifth singles by Jenereski clinched the winning points.
Jaffe teamed with senior Lindsey Johnston (Woodstock Academy/Pomfret, Conn.) to win 8-3 at third singles and sophomores Melanie Cohen (Hatboro-Horsham/Ambler, Pa.) and Melissa Nunez (Morris Hills/Rockaway, N.J.) won 8-3 at second singles.
Saturday's other regional semifinal is between Johns Hopkins and The College of New Jersey at 10 a.m. The winner of that match will face the winner of the Ithaca-Carnegie Mellon match Sunday at noon in the single-elimination tournament. The regional champion will advance to the final rounds of the NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship in Lawrenceville, Ga. May 8-10.
Tennis Match Results
Ithaca vs Wilkes
05/08/09 at Pittsburgh, Pa.
2009 NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship Regional
Ithaca 5, Wilkes 0
1. Victoria Bybel (WILKES) vs. Devra REIMAN (IC) 6-1, 6-5, unfinished
2. Xiaoqiao Zhang (WILKES) vs. Agata KUBIK (IC) 3-6, 6-5, unfinished
3. Alyssa JAFFE (IC) def. Alison McDonald (WILKES) 6-3, 6-3
4. Kristin Wilt (WILKES) vs. Melanie COHEN (IC) 6-4, 4-5, unfinished
5. Natalie JENERESKI (IC) def. Michelle Knight (WILKES) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
6. Rebekah Shanaman (WILKES) vs. Sarah HOLLIS (IC) 6-2, 2-6, 0-2, unfinished
1. Agata KUBIK/Natalie JENERESKI (IC) def. Xiaoqiao Zhang/Alison McDonald (WILKES) 9-8 (13-11)
2. Melanie COHEN/Melissa NUNEZ (IC) def. Victoria Bybel/Kristin Wilt (WILKES) 8-3
3. Alyssa JAFFE/Lindsey JOHNSTON (IC) def. Michelle Knight/Rebekah Shanaman (WILKES) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5)
Ithaca advances to the second round to face Carnegie Mellon at 2 p.m. Saturday