Texas opens NCAA Championships with 4-1 win over Pepperdine
May 8, 2009
BERKELEY, Calif. - Texas overcame a sluggish doubles start by producing an overpowering singles performance Friday afternoon, as the Longhorns (17-7) posted a 4-1 win over Pepperdine (13-12) in the opening round of the 2009 NCAA Championships. UT advances to Saturday's round of 32 where it will meet host California, the No. 8 national seed. The Longhorns and Bears will square off beginning at 2 p.m. Central.
Pepperdine won the doubles matches at the second and first positions to stake itself to a 1-0 lead, but the lead proved to be short-lived, as Texas rang up four straight-set singles victories to turn the tide in the Longhorns' favor.
Junior Stephanie Davison put UT on the board at sixth singles, where she knocked off Zlatka Petrova by a 6-0, 6-1 count. Freshman Krista Damico put Texas on top for good at first singles, where she tallied a 6-4, 6-3 win over Anamika Bhargava.
UT sophomore Amanda Craddock pushed the Texas lead to 3-1 at fifth singles, as she dealt Tania Rice a 6-3, 6-4 defeat. Sophomore Maggie Mello scored the clinching victory for the Longhorns at third singles, where she posted a 6-4, 6-4 win over the Waves' Alex Liles.
Texas head coach Patty Fendick-McCain
"That was the best I've seen everyone play all the way down the line, all at the same time. It was really fantastic to watch. They played so tough and so well, and every single person stepped up today. There was some great energy out there, and hopefully we can keep it going tomorrow."
2009 NCAA Women's Tennis Championships (Round of 64)
Texas 4, Pepperdine 1
Hellman Tennis Complex (Univ. of California)
at Berkeley, Calif.
Doubles - Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. Bhargava/Liles (PEP) def. Craddock/Damico (UT) - 8-5
2. Oates/Walters (PEP) def. Davison/Larsson (UT) - 8-4
3. Rice/Voicu (PEP) vs. Mello/Milic (UT) - DNF
Singles - Order of Finish: 6, 1, 5, 3*
1. Krista Damico (UT) def. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) - 6-4, 6-3
2. Caroline Larsson (UT) vs. No. 113 Alexandria Walters (PEP) - DNF
3. Maggie Mello (UT) def. Alex Liles (PEP) - 6-4, 6-4
4. Sarah Lancaster (UT) vs. Andrea Oates (PEP) - DNF
5. Amanda Craddock (UT) def. Tania Rice (PEP) - 6-3, 6-4
6. Stephanie Davison (UT) def. Zlatka Petrova (PEP) - 6-0, 6-1