Chicago Defeats Grinnell 5-0 in NCAA Tournament 2nd Round
May 9, 2009
GREENCASTLE, Ind. - The University of Chicago defeated Grinnell College 5-0 in the second round of the 2009 NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship Saturday afternoon at DePauw University.
The victory moves the Maroons (15-4) into Sunday's third-round match against DePauw (17-8) at 12:30 p.m. (EDT). The winner of that contest will advance to the national quarterfinals to be held in Lawrenceville, Ga., beginning May 19.
Chicago lost just two games in its three doubles victories and won both of its singles matches without dropping a game.
Freshmen Kendra Higgins (Vero Beach, Fla./ Vero Beach) and Jennifer Kung (Sunnyvale, Calif./ Homestead) prevailed at first and second singles, respectively.
Higgins and sophomore Chrissy Hu (Palo Alto, Calif./ Palo Alto) won 8-0 at first doubles, while Kung teamed up with senior Vindya Dayananda (Kathmandu, Nepal/ Lincoln School) for an 8-1 decision at the second slot. At #3 doubles, freshmen Tiffany Nguyen (Saratoga, Calif./ Monta Vista) and Carmen VacaGuzman (Wyoming, Mich./ Grandville) notched an 8-1 victory.
Grinnell finished its season at 20-7.
Chicago 5, Grinnell 0
1. Kendra Higgins (UCW) def. Toby Cain (GC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Jennifer Kung (UCW) def. Jill Akiyama (GC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Carmen Vaca Guzman (UCW) vs. Katie Colver (GC) unfinished
4. Chrissy Hu (UCW) vs. Maya Lipert (GC) unfinished
5. Vindya Dayananda (UCW) vs. Tatyana Sukharnikova (GC) unfinished
6. Tiffany Nguyen (UCW) vs. Lindsay Smith (GC) unfinished
1. Kendra Higgins/Chrissy Hu (UCW) def. Toby Cain/Tatyana Sukharnikova (GC) 8-0
2. Jennifer Kung/Vindya Dayananda (UCW) def. Maya Lipert/Katie Colver (GC) 8-1
3. Tiffany Nguyen/Carmen Vaca Guzman (UCW) def. Jill Akiyama/Kelsey Picken (GC) 8-1