Middlebury Makes Way To Regional Final With 5-0 Win Over Wellesley
May 9, 2009
Courtesy of Middlebury
Middlebury advanced to an NCAA Regional final after a 5-0 victory over Wellesley in a match played at Williams. The Panthers advance to take on the host school in the regional finals on Sunday at 9:00 a.m. Wellesley ends its season at 18-5, while Middlebury improves to 11-9.
Middlebury put themselves up 3-0 after hard-fought doubles play. While the wins at courts two and three were relatively routine, Elizabeth Stone and Chandra Kurien earned a key third point at court one over Wellesley’s Mohona Siddique and Jacqueline Shen in a tiebreak, 9-8(2). Only needing two singles matches for the victory, Middlebury wrapped up the match in quickly. Kurien and Stone, carrying momentum from their tightly-contested doubles match, both took wins at courts two and three to end the contest. Kurien won 6-1, 6-3 over Siddique, while Stone defeated Shen, 6-3, 6-1.
Middlebury 5, Wellesley 0
1) Stone/Kurien (M) def. Siddique/Shen (W) --- 9-8(2)
2) Burke/Burke (M) def. Schwartzkopf/Ching (W) --- 8-4
3) Haar/Aiello (M) def. Watanabe/Stubblebine (W) --- 8-4
1) Victoria Aiello (M) led Marie Watanabe (W) --- 6-3, 5-0
2) Chandra Kurien (M) def. Mohona Siddique (W) ---- 6-1, 6-3
3) Elizabeth Stone (M) def. Jacqueline Shen (W) --- 6-3, 6-1
4) Clare Burke (M) led Jennifer Shcwartzkopf (W) --- 6-4, 4-3
5) Anne Burke (M) vs. Katelyn Ching (W) --- did not start
6) Jamie Haar (M) vs. Meghan Stubblebine (W) --- did not