Wake Forest Falls to South Carolina in Opening Round of NCAA Tournament
May 9, 2009
Courtesy of Wake Forest Athletics
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - South Carolina defeated the Wake Forest women's tennis team 4-0 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday morning at the University of Tennessee. Wake Forest will finish the 2009 season with 13-13 record following their sixth consecutive invitation to the NCAA Tournament.
"Coming from the ACC and playing a school from the SEC, those are probably the top two conferences in women's tennis, so we knew it was going to be a tough match today. Obviously, we wanted to go a little bit further but it was good to be in the NCAA Tournament again," Wake Forest Head Coach Chad Skorupka said.
South Carolina posted wins at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles to clinch the point moving into singles.
"We got off to a good start in doubles, but we weren't able to maintain the lead, unfortunately. They just played more aggressive at the end, which is key in doubles at this level," Skorupka said.
Just moments after starting singles play, the rain began to fall, prompting a one hour and 25 minute rain delay before play was moved indoors to the Goodfriend Tennis Center.
Only four singles matches could begin indoors and the Deacons dropped three of the four opening sets.
"We didn't get off to great start in singles, but I thought we had some good matches with Emilee Malvehy at 3 and Christian Tara at 4."
Sasha Kulikova and Sierra Poske fell in straight sets at Nos. 1 and 2, putting South Carolina within one point of the match win.
Emilee Malvehy played a three-set battle with Dijana Stojic at No. 3, but lost a 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 contest to seal the fate of the match. Christian Tara won her first set against Natasa Vuckovic and was leading 5-1 in the second when the match was called.
South Carolina 4, Wake Forest 0
1. No. 43 Gira Schofield (SC) vs. No. 65 Sasha Kulikova (WF) - 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 48 Ana Marija Zubori (SC) def. Sierra Poske (WF) - 6-3, 6-1
3. Dijana Stojic (SC) def. Emilee Malvehy (WF) - 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
4. Natasa Vuckovic (SC) vs. Christian Tara (WF) - 6-7 (5), 1-5 (unfinished)
5. Miljana Jocic (SC) vs. Katarina Reveche (WF) - 2-0 (unfinished)
6. Suzanna Mansour (SC) vs. Ryann Cutillo (WF) - 1-0 (unfinished)
1. No. 27 Natasa Vuckovic/Ana Marija Zubori (SC) vs. No. 80 Sasha Kulikova/Sierra Poske (WF) - 7-6 (unfinished)
2. Miljana Jocic/Gira Schofield (SC) def. Emilee Malvehy/Aileen Davis (WF) - 8-5
3. Suzanna Mansour/Dijana Stojic (SC) def. Katarina Reveche/Ryann Cutillo (WF) - 8-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2*); Singles (2,1,3*)