Wheaton falls to Gustavus Adolphus 5-0 in NCAA Regional Final
May 9, 2009
St. Peter, Minn. - The Wheaton College women's tennis team lost to host Gustavus Adolphus College 5-0 in regional final of the NCAA Division III Tournament on Saturday.
The Thunder finished their season with an 18-5 record. Both Jordan Hook and Elizabeth Worsowicz will be playing as a doubles team and Hook as a singles player at the upcoming NCAA individual championships.
Host Gustavus Adolphus grabbed the momentum early by winning all three doubles matches to stake themselves to a lead that it would not relinquish. Wheaton was leading three of the singles matches when Gustavus Adolphus won the clinching fifth match.
"I told the girls after the match that they should have a little bad taste in their mouth to keep them motivated to do even better next year," Wheaton head coach Jane Nelson said. "Overall, I'm very pleased with how the season went. We were in all the matches at the end. I have no complaints. We peaked at the right time and worked hard."
Now the focus is shifted to Hook and Worsowicz and their chances in the national tournament.
"It's hard to predict," Nelson said. "The competition is very good and there are no freebies. They are capable of playing with whoever is there. It's all about playing best on that day. They have a week and a half to work to that, and they should be rested mentally and physically."
Gustavus Adolphus College 5, Wheaton College 0
1. Sierra Krebsbach (GAC) vs. Jordan Hook (WHEAT) 2-6, 3-4, unfinished
2. Megan Gaard (GAC) vs. Elizabeth Worsowicz (WHEAT) 6-4, 2-6, unfinished
3. Ali O'Neal (GAC) def. Brittney Dunn (WHEAT) 6-3, 6-4
4. Sam Frank (GAC) vs. Kayli Edwards (WHEAT) 4-6, 4-5, unfinished
5. Marianne Barau (GAC) def. Lindsey Hallett (WHEAT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Erica Dobson (GAC) vs. Sara Federschmidt (WHEAT) 5-7, 3-3, unfinished
1. Sierra Krebsbach/Sam Frank (GAC) def. Jordan Hook/Elizabeth Worsowicz (WHEAT) 8-6
2. Erica Dobson/Ali O'Neal (GAC) def. Brittney Dunn/Kayli Edwards (WHEAT) 8-2
3. Marianne Barau/Megan Gaard (GAC) def. Sara Federschmidt/Lindsey Hallett (WHEAT) 8-3