Chicago Defeats DePauw, 5-0
May 10, 2009
Courtesy of Chicago
GREENCASTLE, Ind. -- The University of Chicago women's tennis team earned its first-ever trip to the NCAA Division III quarterfinals after defeating host DePauw University 5-0 in third-round play Sunday afternoon.
Chicago (16-4) swept the three doubles matches with an 8-1 victory by sophomore Chrissy Hu (Palo Alto, Calif./ Palo Alto) and freshman Kendra Higgins (Vero Beach, Fla./ Vero Beach) at #1, an 8-3 win by senior Vindya Dayananda (Kathmandu, Nepal/ Lincoln School) and freshman Jennifer Kung (Sunnyvale, Calif./ Homestead) at #2, and an 8-5 decision by freshmen Tiffany Nguyen (Saratoga, Calif./ Monta Vista) and Carmen VacaGuzman (Wyoming, Mich./ Grandville) at #3.
Kung and VacaGuzman also notched straight-set victories at second and third singles, respectively.
DePauw finished the year 17-9.
Chicago will travel to Lawrenceville, Ga., to participate in national quarterfinal play next Tuesday, May 19 against an opponent to be determined.
Women's tennis becomes the fourth Chicago sport -- joining women's soccer (1996, 2003, 2005), men's basketball (2001), and men's soccer (1996) -- to advance as far as the quarterfinal round in NCAA Division III postseason play.
Chicago 5, DePauw 0
1. Janelle Arita (DEPAUW) vs. Kendra Higgins (UCW) unfinished
2. Jennifer Kung (UCW) def. Greer Mackie (DEPAUW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Carmen VacaGuzman (UCW) def. Kelly Gebert (DEPAUW) 6-1, 6-3
4. Kayla Smith (DEPAUW) vs. Chrissy Hu (UCW) unfinished
5. Kristine Lewry (DEPAUW) vs. Vindya Dayananda (UCW) unfinished
6. Betsey Flanzer (DEPAUW) vs. Tiffany Nguyen (UCW) unfinished
1. Kendra Higgins/Chrissy Hu (UCW) def. Greer Mackie/Kayla Smith (DEPAUW) 8-1
2. Jennifer Kung/Vindya Dayananda (UCW) def. Janelle Arita/Kelly Gebert (DEPAUW) 8-3
3. Carmen VacaGuzman/Tiffany Nguyen (UCW) def. Kristine Lewry/Tricia Wilks (DEPAUW) 8-5