Omaha Police Outline Traffic, Security Regulations For 2010 CWS
June 15, 2010
Courtesy of the Omaha Police Department
Officials from the City of Omaha Parks and Recreation Department, Police Department, Fire Department, and Douglas County Sheriff's Department have been meeting regularly with representatives from the NCAA, CWS of Omaha, Inc., and Rosenblatt Stadium making preparations for the 2010 NCAA College World Series.
Outlined below is information pertaining to traffic and security for the 2010 College World Series:
STADIUM EXPRESS SERVICE
Due to limited available parking in the area, we urge the public to consider using the Stadium Express Service, operated by Metro Area Transit (MAT). The Express Service operates from six convenient locations. Cost is only $3 per person each way (exact fare only or prepaid cards are also available). Buses arrive approximately 30 minutes before start of each game and depart 30 minutes after game conclusion. Items prohibited on Rosenblatt Stadium grounds will not be allowed onto MAT Busses (coolers, large containers, back packs, large bags, and weapons). More details can be found at http://www.MetroAreaTransit.com/html/stex2009.html.
- Law enforcement personnel will be patrolling Rosenblatt Stadium and directing traffic. For everyone's safety we urge both pedestrians and vehicular traffic to follow the directives of law enforcement personnel.
- Vehicles parking in Rosenblatt Parking Lots will be directed to a parking stall by staff. Tailgating will be allowed inside the lot but all coolers, grills and other personal property will need to be kept in close proximity to your vehicle. All personal property must be removed from parking lots at the end of each night.
- Please visit the CWS Web-site at www.cwsOmaha.com or www.NCAA.com for suggested routes of travel as well as available parking. There are new attractions at the Henry Doorly Zoo (which has increased zoo attendance) so CWS visitors should leave early and plan to arrive at least one (1) hour before the start of each game.
Handicapped parking will be available at no charge. It will be located on the south side of the stadium (accessible via College World Series Boulevard). Plan to arrive early as there are limited handicapped parking spaces available. If no spaces are available, it can still be accessed as a drop off point. This will also be the drop-off site for buses.
Do not leave any valuables inside your vehicle
Taxi Stand: A taxi stand will be located at 10th and Atlas Street (one block south of the stadium, on the east side of the street). Several taxis will be available for transportation.
Prohibited Parking: There will be no parking signs posted around the stadium and in nearby neighborhoods. Any vehicle that is parked where prohibited by sign will be ticketed and possibly towed. Any vehicle blocking a driveway or vehicle parked in a private driveway or yard without authorization will also be subject to tow.
The operation of golf cars, scooters, ATV's, and similar vehicles (gas and electric) is prohibited on public streets and sidewalks. Violators will be cited and illegal vehicles will be subject to tow / impound.
We anticipate and are planning for a record number of CWS fans traveling to Omaha this year to witness an end of an era at Rosenblatt Stadium. In order to provide CWS fans a safe and orderly event, we have added additional pedestrian and traffic flow guidelines including identified access points to the stadium grounds to manage the larger crowds.
Perimeter fencing is being erected around the perimeter of Rosenblatt Stadium to include all parking lot areas. There will be a total of EIGHT (8) numbered gates (There are 7 open to the general public and one emergency entrance) for both vehicle and pedestrian traffic. City and security personnel will control each and every access point onto Rosenblatt property to assist in crowd management. Pedestrians will not be allowed to carry coolers, large containers, back packs, large bags, or weapons onto the stadium grounds. Controlled access points in the fencing perimeter have been identified and can be seen on the attached map.
Law enforcement personnel and security officers will be at all entrances to the stadium to screen fans and employees. Purses, fanny packs, medical kits and other personal items brought into the stadium may be subject to inspection.
ITEMS NOT ALLOWED TO BE CARRIED ONTO THE STADIUM GROUNDS
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Large Containers
- Back Packs
- Large Bags
ITEMS NOT ALLOWED IN THE STADIUM
- Backpacks (with exception to the CWS sanctioned sling bags that will be handed out during Fan Fest)
- Banners, flags or signs larger than 3 feet by 5 feet
- Beach balls
- Blow horns and other distracting noise makers
- Briefcases, attaché cases or any type of bags and/or large purses
- Firearms and/or knives
- Food or beverages
- Glass, cans, coolers and/or containers. (Empty plastic personal-sized bottles are allowed)
- Illegal drugs or controlled substances
- Laptops (does not apply to Media)
- Laser pens/pointers or strobe lights
- Videotape cameras
You will not be able to leave items at the gate. If you do not return them to your car, stadium security will dispose of them.
***For security reasons, outside food and beverages are not allowed to be brought into the stadium. However, to help fans stay hydrated during the event, water stations will be available for filling water containers on an unlimited basis, free of charge. Empty, individual-sized, plastic containers will be allowed into the stadium for this purpose. The water stations will be located at the plaza entrance and in the general admission section.
Anyone requiring special dietary needs will be asked to provide a doctor's note. You can call Rosenblatt Stadium at 731-8808 the day of the game with any question or concerns about what will be allowed into the stadium. Allowable items will be the same as last year.
OTHER STADIUM INFORMATION
- Gates open two (2) hours in advance of game time (parking lots open at 8:00 a.m.)
- Anyone needing to leave the stadium and then re-enter will be screened again before being allowed back into the stadium
- No overnight parking will be allowed
- Due to security measures at the gates and limited parking available, please allow extra time to find parking and your seats
- Report all suspicious behavior in parking lots and inside the stadium to law enforcement personnel immediately
- There is no smoking allowed anywhere in Rosenblatt Stadium
- Tickets may not be resold for more than face value. The Omaha Police Department will be actively enforcing all scalping laws
- Tickets will be electronically scanned again this year. Once scanned the ticket is cancelled. The only way to ensure tickets are valid is to purchase them through the Rosenblatt Stadium Box Office (once the College World Series begins), Ticket Master, or Ticket Exchange. Click on www.cwsOmaha.com for more details.
General Admission Tickets
Fans with general admission tickets will need to assemble at Gate #1 (North Entrance). Lines will form outside the fence and will wrap around to the east and then south on the sidewalks (towards Gate #2). Prior to the gates opening at 8 a.m., general admission ticket holders will be given a sequentially numbered wristband to gain entrance to the stadium. No one will be admitted without a wristband.
Reserved Seating Ticket Purchases
There will be a limited number of reserved seating tickets available for each game. Those who wish to purchase tickets will need to assemble at Gate #6 (East Entrance). Lines will form outside the fence and will wrap around towards 13th Street (towards Gate #7). Prior to gates being opened at 8 a.m., those that wish to purchase reserved tickets will be given a sequentially numbered wristband to gain entrance to the stadium and will be allowed to purchase tickets according to the number they were issued.
Rosenblatt's final CWS games
Although this will be the last year for CWS games at Rosenblatt Stadium, the Omaha Royals Season is still in full swing and will be finishing their season at the stadium. For those that may consider taking an "unauthorized souvenir" from the stadium, the Omaha Police Department would like to remind the public that anyone attempting to steal or destroy any property from the stadium will be subject to arrest.
We recommend that the general public visit the CWS website at www.cwsOmaha.com or www.NCAA.com for additional information. You can also contact Rosenblatt Stadium at 731-8808 (once the College Series begins) if you have any questions during the CWS.