PULLMAN, Wash.-- Chris Reed got the final five outs and No. 11 Stanford (13-7, 2-1 Pac-10) won its series and coach Mark Marquess' 1400th career game with a 4-3 win on Sunday against Washington State (11-12, 1-5 Pac-10).

Marquess, the ninth coach to reach that milestone, is now 1400-726-7. Reed pitched a perfect ninth for his fourth save after Stanford survived four errors and a blown 4-0 lead.

Reed got out of a jam in the eighth, inducing an inning ending double play after reliever Scott Snodgress put the tying run on second.

In relief of winner Dean McArdle (4-0), Snodgress got the final out in the seventh and the first in the eighth. A Derek Jones' single went off of Snodgress' glove and the left-hander's throwing error put the tying run on second. Following a Reed walk, a double play sent it to the ninth.

McArdle went 6.2 innings, giving up three unearned runs on four hits while pitching through three costly Stanford errors. McArdle tied his career-high with six strikeouts and left with a 4-3 lead.

Errors helped the Cougars close the gap. An inning ending popup was mishandled by Lonnie Kauppila down the right field line, allowing WSU to close to within 4-3 as Patrick Claussen scored from first in the seventh.

Two errors by center fielder Tyler Gaffney led to two Cougar runs in the sixth. He misplayed a double into a three-base hit and then missed the final out in right center, allowing the first run to score. A wind-aided ball over the head of Austin Wilson and off the right field wall went for a double for Taylor Ard and made it 4-2.

The first run for Stanford came home after Gaffney squirted a single up the middle with two outs in the fifth. It was the first of two RBIs for the Cardinal center fielder.

Stanford would add to its lead in the sixth, after a fielder's choice off of reliever Anthony Drobnick scored the Cardinal's second run. Washington State reliever J.D. Leckenby walked in two more runs to make it 4-0.

Chad Arnold, throwing on a pitch count, went the first 4.2 innings, striking out six in his outing, giving up the first run for WSU.