Midwest Region Preview
Wisconsin-Stevens Point played in the college world series a year ago, and head coach Pat Bloom believes his team has a great shot at getting back.
The Pointers (32-8) are in the NCAA tournament for the seventh straight season and have a pitching staff that features Scott Williams. Williams is 10-2 and has recorded a team-high 88 strikeouts. His ERA is at 2.93 while Joel Delorit is 5-3 with a 2.91 ERA. He has 61 strikeouts on the season.
Stevens Point has a team ERA of 3.70 entering the regional at Prucha Field in Whitwater, Wisc.
“You need good pitching in the tournament, and I feel like we have a good rotation,” Bloom said. “We have guys that can get big outs and keep us in games. Overall, our team is playing with a lot of confidence.”
The Pointers have a solid lineup as well.
Dan Douglas is batting .455 with 61 hits while Sean Gerber is hitting .426 with 41 RBI. He has hit 12 doubles. Cody Koback has belted seven home runs and has knocked in 46 runs. He is hitting .422.
“We just have to keep everything in perspective,” Bloom said. “We need to stay focused and just work hard and play with intensity. If we do that, we’ll have a chance to win.”
• Aurora is playing in its 19th NCAA tournament and won the Northern Athletics Conference title. The Spartans (30-12) are led by Josh Davidson, who has hit a school-record 62 singles. Davidson is hitting .435 on the season.
Ryan Adams is batting .379 and has tallied nine doubles. He has scored 53 runs as well. Anthony Amedi is batting .330 with 40 runs and 34 RBI.
• Whitewater lost to Stevens Point in the regional final a year ago and is hoping to make up for the shortcoming this time around. The War hawks (32-11) are in the regional for the 14th time and Daniel Putnam has been pivotal to the success. He is batting .438 with 22 RBI and has scored 56 runs.
Jeff Donovan is batting .393, tallying 19 doubles and 47 RBI. Riley Tincher is 9-3 with a 2.84 ERA and has struck out 52 batters. Donovan hasn’t been bad on the hill either, going 9-0 with a 3.69 ERA. He has tallied 63 strikeouts.
• St. Thomas is playing in its 16th tournament in the last 17 seasons. The Tommmies (27-16), who won the 2009 national title, have an experienced pitcher in John Licht. He is 12-3 in his career, including a 3-2 mark this season, and earned two wins on the hill during the 2009 tournament.
J.D. Dorgan is hitting .390 and has came through with a hit in 23 of his last 26 games.
• St. Scholastica has won 21 of its last 22 games, including its last eight, and should be ready to roll in the regional. The Saints (35-5) are fueled by Kyle Moody, who is batting .462 with 47 RBI. He has hit 14 doubles and has scored 41 times.
Joe Link is batting .371 with 11 doubles and 37 RBI. He has scored 51 runs. Brandon Peterson hasn’t been bad either, hitting .412 with six home runs. He has 43 RBI on the year. Matt Lewis is 9-1 with a 1.78 ERA and has rung up 58 strikeouts.
• Hamline is riding the high of a Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference title and is paced by Tony Rogers, who is batting .345 with 34 RBI. Cass Kreitlow is 8-1 with a 3.64 ERA and has recorded 55 strikeouts. Rob Miller, 4-0 as a reliever, has a 2.92 ERA and has 22 strikeouts on the season for a team that is 28-13 on the year.