2015 Preview: Plenty of new faces ready to lead Louisiana-Lafayette in Sun Belt
The Road to Omaha doesn't begin in the spring; coaches already are driving their players toward the College World Series. It's the rise-n-grind that players tweet about; it's the workout pictures that are shared on social media. It's the day-in, day-out work that coaches and players hope will separate their team in June. Before the first pitch in February, NCAA.com is highlighting teams that may reach the Mecca of college baseball: Omaha.
Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns
• 2014: 58-10 (26-4 Sun Belt)
• Head coach: Tony Robichaux (20th year)
Ragin' Cajuns' team website
1. What can fans expect from this squad in 2015? Our team is filled with many new faces this year. Junior college players, as well as many high school players, were brought in to replace the eight seniors and five drafted juniors. Their goals are the same and will compete with the same tenacity as in years past. This team will have to forge its own identity as the season goes along.
2. What is the one thing that this year’s team does best? That remains to be seen due to the fact that we have new players at every position except shortstop and right field. The entire pitching staff is new and guys will have to develop into their roles as the season progresses.
3. Bottom of the ninth, tied game, two outs, winning run on second … which player does this team want to step up to the plate? Junior shortstop Blake Trahan.
4. If this team had one game to win, which pitcher would get the ball? Senior right-hander Greg Milhorn.
5. Who are we most likely to see make a "SportsCenter Top 10" play on this squad? Blake Trahan.
6. What does Omaha mean to this team? Omaha means the culmination of a special year based on trust and dependence of each other. It would be the reward for tremendous sacrifice throughout the season. Omaha is the result of playing for the guy on the side of you; playing for something bigger than yourself.
-- Louisiana-Lafayette Associate Head Coach Anthony Babineaux
|TOP RETURNING HITTERS|
|TOP RETURNING PITCHERS|