The Road to Omaha doesn't begin in the spring; coaches already are driving their players toward the College World Series. It's the rise-n-grind that players tweet about; it's the workout pictures that are shared on social media. It's the day-in, day-out work that coaches and players hope will separate their team in June. Before the first pitch in February, NCAA.com is highlighting teams that may reach the Mecca of college baseball: Omaha.
• 2014: 22-33 (9-21 Pac-12)
• Head coach: Andy Lopez (14th year)
Wildcats' team website
1. What can fans expect from this squad in 2015? Arizona will play an aggressive, tough-minded brand of baseball.
2. What is the one thing that this year’s team does best? Compete. This team will compete the same in practices and games.
3. Bottom of the ninth, tied game, two outs, winning run on second … which player does this team want to step up to the plate? Junior shortstop Kevin Newman.
4. If this team had one game to win, which pitcher would get the ball? Check back in a few weeks. A lot of competition left before sorting out the rotation and bullpen structure.
5. Who are we most likely to see make a "SportsCenter Top 10" play on this squad? Shortstop Kevin Newman and second baseman Scott Kingery turning a slick double play up the middle.
6. What does Omaha mean to this team? It’s the expectation. You come to Arizona to get to Omaha.
-- Arizona Baseball
|TOP RETURNING HITTERS|
|TOP RETURNING PITCHERS|