baseball-d1 flag

D1 baseball staff | April 9, 2023

The top 10 starting pitchers in college baseball, six weeks into the season

Top freshmen in college baseball so far in 2023

(Editor's note: The following was first published on The original includes a list of the top 100 starting pitchers in the college baseball season so far. Use code Save23 for a discounted subscription.)

With six weeks in the books, we’re more than a third of the way through the 2023 college baseball season, so it’s time to update our Player Rankings. When we put together our Preseason All-America teams, we followed one guiding principle: If we were building a team to win the 2023 national title, which players would we choose? We use the same philosophy to construct our Power Rankings.

Now we have six weeks of performance to draw upon, and we took early-season statistics into consideration, but we also tried to keep the numbers in context, because some leagues or ballparks are more offensive than others, and the quality of nonconference competition varies widely — so not all stat lines are created equal. In addition to the 2023 numbers, we also considered raw talent, long-term track record from previous seasons and makeup. And for premium defensive positions like catcher and shortstop, defensive statistics and ability were also weighted more heavily. These are NOT professional prospect lists, though they do take pure talent into consideration.

Finally, remember that there are nearly 300 Division I teams, and we’re ranking roughly the top 10 percent at each position. These lists reflect our projections of which players are the best of the best this spring, but many good players in the remaining 90 percent just didn’t make the cut. We’ll revisit the Player Rankings again after Week 12 and make adjustments as players prove themselves on the field.

BEST PLAYERS BY POSITION: 1st Base | 2nd Base | Shortstops | 3rd Base | Catchers | Outfielders

With all that said, here’s a look at the top 100 starting pitchers in college baseball at the six-week mark. First-team preseason All-American Paul Skenes of LSU takes over the No. 1 spot from Tennessee’s Chase Dollander, while Wake Forest’s Rhett Lowder holds steady at No. 2, leading a group of three Demon Deacons in the Top 10.

rank player team
1 Paul Skenes LSU
2 Rhett Lowder Wake Forest
3 Chase Dollander Tennessee
4 Sean Sullivan Wake Forest
5 Trey Yesavage East Carolina
6 Juaron Watts-Brown Oklahoma State
7 Josh Hartle Wake Forest
8 Hunter Hollan Arkansas
9 Chase Burns Tennessee
10 Tanner Hall Southern Miss

Read's full top 100 list here. 

The longest games in DI college baseball history

Let's take a look at the longest games in college baseball history and hear from those who witnessed two of them.

Duke baseball's cultural reset has the Blue Devils 2 wins away from the Men's College World Series

Duke baseball finished just 22-32 last season, now the Blue Devils have advanced to the super regionals. Here's how they did it.

5 reasons to watch each of the DI baseball super regionals

NCAA baseball's super regionals begin June 9 and run through June 11. Here are five reasons to watch every super regional, including top players to watch, team breakdowns and more.
Division I
Baseball Championship
June 16 - 26, 2023
Charles Schwab Field Omaha | Omaha, NE

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners