EDMOND, Okla. -- A three point basket by Jason Adams with 25 seconds left in the overtime period sent Missouri Southern into the Round of 32, defeating Washburn 82-79 in overtime in the first round of the NCAA DII South Central Regional.

A three pointer from Washburn's (18-10) De'Andre Washington sent the game into overtime as the senior hit a big shot as time expired.

Southern (26-4) was led in scoring by Adams with 29 points and eight rebounds, as he tied a career-high with six three's. Skyler Bowlin scored 22, going 4-11 from long-range and a perfect 8-8 from the free-throw line, while Keane Thomann had eight points and eight rebounds.

The Lions were hamstrung as Thomann, Bowlin and Rich Borries all fouled out late in regulation.

Washburn was led in scoring by 28 points and 13 rebounds from Logan Stutz. He went 15-24 from the free-throw line. Washington scored 20 and pulled down 12 boards.

The Lions got out to a hot start leading 7-0 after a three from Adams, and buckets from Marquiss Addison and Thomann, but the Ichabods fought back and scored eight in a row capped off by a three from Washington to take an 8-7 lead. Washburn led 11-9 before back-to-back three's from Bowlin and Adams gave the Lions a 15-11 lead at 13:37 of the first half. Four consecutive points from the Bods, however tied the game at 15 at the second media timeout.

Southern led again (23-21) after a three from Adams at the 8:10 minute mark of the first half, but that would be the last lead the Lions would have in the half as Washburn tied it up the next trip down on a layup from Stutz and went on to an 11-1 run to lead 32-24 with 2:45 left. Three's from Bowlin and Adams, however, would cut the Washburn lead to just two (32-30) at the half.

A three from Bowlin in the corner tied the game at 35 with 17:50 left to go in the second half. Two consecutive baskets by the Ichabods gave Washburn a 39-35 lead, however. A free-throw from Thomann and a bucket from Adams cut the deficit to one (39-38) with 15:45 left.

A bucket from Chris Scruggs on the inside gave the Lions a 42-41 lead with just over 14 minutes left. A three from Adams gave the Lions back the lead at 45-44 with just under 13 to go and a running layup from Bowlin increased the lead to three (47-44) with 12 minutes left.

A pair of free throws pushed the Lions' lead to 55-48 with 9:52 left to go. The free-throws were part of an 8-4 run consisting of four points each from Rich Borries and Bowlin.

A free throw from Addison gave the Lions a 70-67 lead with 4.8 seconds to go in the game, but the Ichabods inbounded the ball to Washington and he turned and launched a three that went to tie the game, forcing overtime.

A pair of freebies from Washburn's Virgil Philistin gave the Ichabods a 77-75 lead with 1:45 to go in the overtime period. Philistin would make one of two with under a minute left to push the lead to three (78-75) and a bucket from Adams, the next trip down the court cut the lead to 78-77.

The Bods would make one of two again from the line and a three from Adams off the glass gave the Lions an 80-79 lead with 25 seconds to go. A turnover by Washburn and a foul by the Bods put Patrick Hester on the line shooting two and the junior made them both increasing the Lions lead to three with 19 seconds to go. A late three from Washburn would not go.

Southern was out rebounded 43-37 and out scored 32-16 in the paint, but hit ten three pointers to make up the advantage. The Lions shot 41 percent from both the field and long range. The game featured 59 fouls and 85 free-throw attempts. It is the first overtime game of the season for the Lions.

Southern will now move on to face the six seed Midwestern State Mustanges tomorrow night at 5 pm. MSU defeated third seed Tarleton State today in the session's first game.