Cincinnati shocks No. 11 Georgetown

WASHINGTON -- Sean Kilpatrick scored a career-high 27 points, and Cincinnati went 6 for 6 from the free throw line in the final 70 seconds Monday night to upset No. 11 Georgetown 68-64.

Kilpatrick and Dion Dixon each had four of Cincinnati’s 13 steals as the Bearcats (13-4, 3-1) forced Georgetown into 17 turnovers, matching the Hoyas’ season-high. Cincinnati has won eight of nine.

Cincinnati 68, No. 11 Georgetown 64
No. 16 Connecticut 65, West Virginia 57
Complete Scoreboard

Hollis Thompson and Jason Clark scored 14 points apiece and combined to go 11 for 13 from the field from the Hoyas (13-3, 3-2), whose 59 percent shooting was undone by their carelessness with the ball.

Georgetown has lost two consecutive after an 11-game winning streak, and the Hoyas lost for the first time this season at home, having started 9-0 at the Verizon Center.

Cashmere Wright broke a 62-62 tie with two free throws with 1:07 remaining -- his only points of the game. Dixon (22 points) then went 4 for 4 from the line in the final minute to help seal the victory.

Trailing by two after Wright’s free throws, Georgetown missed its first chance to tie when Otto Porter couldn’t convert on a drive to the paint. Thompson grabbed the rebound for the Hoyas, but Porter stepped out of bounds trying to drive the baseline with 7.2 seconds left.

Thompson went 5 for 6 for the Hoyas, including 4 for 4 from 3-point range, but all of his points came in the first half. He attempted only one shot in the second half.

Cincinnati had to deal with two quick fouls on Wright, while Porter also picked up two early on. The Bearcats started 1 for 10 from the field to fall behind 9-2, then made five consecutive to pull ahead, with Dixon working hard to find just enough space to hit a pair of contested jump shots.

Thompson couldn’t miss for the Hoyas in the first half. He saved the best for last -- banking one in at the first-half buzzer to give Georgetown a 34-32 lead at the break.

Cincinnati was close despite having only two assists in the first half, a deficiency negated by the Bearcats’ eight steals.

Georgetown was on a shooting tear at the start of the second half, making 10 of its first 12 shots, but Cincinnati stayed close by forcing turnovers and riding the hot hand of Kilpatrick.

Nate Lubick’s putback gave the Hoyas a 59-53 lead with 6 1/2 minutes remaining, but Kilpatrick hit a 3, Yancy Gates had a dunk and then hit two free throws with 2:12 to go to give Cincinnati its first lead since early in the second half.

Sean Kilpatrick 
Cincinnati | G | So.
27 10-16 4

Henry Sims then made two free throws to restore Georgetown’s lead, but Dixon put the Bearcats back in front when his layup attempt drew a goaltending call on Sims.

Clark then made one of two free throws to tie the game with 1:33 left, but Wright’s two free throws put the Bearcats back ahead for good.

Gates returned to the starting lineup for the first time since his six-game suspension for his part in the Dec. 10 brawl against Xavier. Gates, who had come off the bench for two games after the suspension, finished with eight points and seven rebounds.

Cincinnati freshman guard Ge’Lawn Guyn was injured midway through the first half in a collision with Georgetown’s Greg Whittington as both dove for a loose ball. Guyn wasn’t able to lift his legs as he was helped to the bench, and then to the locker room during the next timeout.