WORCESTER, Mass. -- David Brown drilled three free throws with 2.1 seconds remaining in overtime to give No. 24 WPI a 66-65 victory against Trinity (Conn.) on Wednesday. WPI improved to 11-3 while Trinity fell to 9-5.

Trinity took its first lead of the game at 46-45 with 6:01 remaining in regulation on a 3-pointer from Carter Trent.  Jaime Shannon hit a huge layup to tie the game at 51-51 with 1:26 remaining. Trinity immediately answered with a layup from Dean to regain the lead.

With 29 seconds left and WPI still down two, Marco Coppola hit two free throws and Trinity missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer that would have won it. The game went into overtime tied at 53.

Trinity's Cameron Sutton scored the first points of the extra frame on a layup in traffic. Later, Shannon tied the game at 57-57 on a jumper, and Ryan Kolb made a huge layup to give WPI its first lead of the extra period at 59-57.

No. 2 Va.-Wesleyan 76, Randolph 62
No. 3 MIT 83, Coast Guard 55
No. 9 UW-Whitewater 75, UW-Platteville 70
No. 13 Cabrini 94, Rosemont 66
DePauw 64, No. 14 Wabash 55
No. 15 UW-Stevens Point 71, UW-Stout 56
No. 24 WPI 66, Trinity (Conn.) 65 OT

The Engineers looked to Shannon for a big basket in crunch time, and he delivered with a layup to give WPI a 63-59 lead with 1:06 remaining. Following two Trinity free throws, WPI was called for a charge, setting up Trent for a huge 3-pointer to give the Bantams a 64-63 advantage.

A jumper in the lane by Shannon didn't fall, and WPI was forced to foul. Trinity hit one of two free throws to put the Engineers down two.

Pulling up for a 3-pointer Brown was fouled, sending him to the line with a chance to put the Engineers ahead with 2.1 seconds left. He was more than up to the challenge, hitting all three. Trinity was unable to get a shot off, and WPI escaped with the victory.

The Engineer defense handcuffed the Bantams early. Trinity's first three possessions resulted in a shot clock violation, a turnover and a block and recovery by WPI. The Bantams did not score until 3:13 into the game.

The Crimson and Gray held a narrow lead for most of the first half, exploding on the offensive end late in the period and taking a 30-14 lead off a layup from Coppola with 3:15 remaining in the period.

The Bantams responded with an 8-0 run, capped off by a 3-pointer from Mick DiStasio. WPI went into halftime up 32-22, led by Matt Carr who scored nine points. The hosts shot 50 percent from the floor in the first half, but were forced into 11 turnovers.

Trinity opened the second half on an 8-2 tear, capped off by a layup from George Papadeas. Minutes later, Trinity cut the lead to 41-39 when Eric Dean hit a 3-pointer. A put-back by Chris Applegate finally tied the game at 43-43 setting the stage for the thrilling ending.

Carr led the Engineers with 15 points, six rebounds and four blocks. Shannon filled up the stat line, with 14 points, three rebounds, two assists, two blocks and two steals. In addition to his last-second heroics, Brown tallied 13 points, five rebounds, two steals and two assists. Coppola racked up 10 points, five rebounds and three steals. 

Dean nearly led Trinity to the upset with 15 points, nine rebounds and two steals. Applegate was a presence inside with 10 points and nine boards. Papadeas also pulled down nine rebounds to go along with eight points. Sutton added 10 points. Trinity had a 43-30 edge on the boards.