basketball-men-d3 flag

Penn State-Behrend Athletics | March 8, 2014

Skelly lifts Penn State-Behrend in overtime to advance

HOLLAND, Mich. -- Penn State-Behrend wasn't quite ready for their season to end.

Shane Skelly hit the game-tying jumper with 1:45 left and then scored the first four points of overtime to lift the Lions (24-4) past Hope 70-66 in overtime.

The Lions will now play in the second round of the NCAA tournament for the third time in school history.

Early on, it was a back-and-fourth affair. Trailing by four with 6:05 left in the first half, Behrend put on the game's first momentum shifting run – a 13-2 surge that was capitalized by a Zane Hackett dunk and 3-point play. It was a monstrous jam that quieted most of the 3,000 in attendance.

The Hope faithful would not be silent for long, as the Dutchman closed the half on a 7-0 run following a Nate VanAredonk tip-in at the horn.

After nine back-and-forth minutes at the start of the second session, Nick DeLisio scored five quick points at the 11:05 mark. Following a Keith Wallace jumper with 10:15 left, the Lions held their largest lead (eight) of the game.

Hope came right back, going to work at the free-throw line. The Dutchman scored seven consecutive points off foul shots, and Hope led by two with 5:12 remaining.

Casey Courneen drained two game-tying free throws for Behrend at the 4:47 mark, and the game remained tied until VanAredonk put the Dutchman ahead with two from the charity stripe with 2:54 remaining.

Skelly, playing with four fouls, drilled a jumper from the baseline with 1:45 left to tie the game.

It turned out to be the last bucket of regulation.

The Lions, playing in their first overtime period of the season, were right at home in the extra session.

Skelly led things off by nailing back-to-back jumpers and Courneen followed with a pair of free throws. It was a quick 6-0 run from which Hope never fully recovered. Not to be understated during that stretch was a suffocating Behrend that defense kept Hope scoreless through the first 3:57 of overtime.

Corey McMahon's three kept the Dutchman alive by slicing the Lions lead to two, but Wallace hit two more free throws to once again put Behrend up two possessions with 46 seconds left.

The Lions followed with a huge stop and Courneen then put Behrend up six at the 34 second mark with two clutch free throws.

McMahon hit another three to cut the Lions lead to 69-66 with 30 seconds left. Hope made a stop and had a chance to tie trailing by three, but McMachon instead went for a layup which bounced off the rim and Mike Knoll grabbed the rebound with ten seconds left.

Knoll then went to the free throw line needing only to hit one to put the game away, and the sophomore did just that.

Eidson's 3 at the buzzer was wide of the mark, and the party was on for Behrend.