College basketball: Syracuse to honor late Pearl Washington vs. rival Hoyas
SYRACUSE, NY – Two of the prime combatants from the glory days of the Big East Conference will meet again when Syracuse hosts Georgetown in the Carrier Dome on Saturday, Dec. 17. The event will include a special tribute to Pearl Washington, one of the stars of the long-standing rivalry with the Hoyas. Washington was a former Syracuse standout who passed away in April.
|MARCH MADNESS ON SOCIAL MEDIA|
JOIN THE TEAM.
- A "31" logo will be affixed to one of the Jim Boeheim Court sidelines, at approximately the same spot where Washington made his miraculous half-court shot to defeat Boston College on Jan. 21, 1984.
- A limited number of $31 seats will be made available for purchase.
- Syracuse students who have purchased season tickets will be able to secure their seat for the Georgetown game — despite it not being part of the student season-ticket package. Fall semester exams will have been completed at the time and students will be on break.
- Special back-court activities that associate with Pearl Washington's legacy at Syracuse will be available for fans to participate in.
- Purchase Group Tickets: For a group with a minimum of 15 people, you can put down a $10 per seat deposit (actual ticket price is TBD). Once the event is finalized, your order will be place into reserved seats (prioritized by order date) and you will be contacted for the remaining payment.
Syracuse and Georgetown have met 91 times on the hardwood in a series that dates back to the 1929-30 season. The Orange maintains a 49-42 advantage overall. It is the sixth most-frequent pairing in Syracuse hoop's history. The two teams have split the last 10 meetings.
At the time Syracuse moved to Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), prior to the 2013-14 season, Syracuse and Georgetown ranked first and second in Big East Conference victories. Between 1980 and 1992, the Orange and the Hoyas met in the Big East Tournament championship game five times.
Syracuse reached its sixth NCAA Final Four last year, capping off a 23-14 campaign.
Coach Jim Boeheim enters his 41st season as Syracuse head coach.
Georgetown's John Thompson III is in his 13th season at the Hoya helm. His club was 15-18 overall and 7-11 in the Big East a season ago.