Morning Madness: Friday, March 3
Here's what you need to know in college hoops for Friday, March 3.
Numbers never lie, right? Well we have some numbers for you here. For starters, there are only nine days left until Selection Sunday. Secondly...
Campbell guard drops 51 in a win over UNC Asheville
Five-one. That's 51. POINTS. It's a school and conference record. Chris Clemons, a 5-foot-9 guard, knocked down 18 of his 32 shots in Campbell's Big South quarterfinal upset of UNC Asheville, including 8 of his 14 threes. Impressive. Read more here.
Here's another number for you: Threeeeeeeeeeee! That's also what you're morally obligated to yell when you watch how …
Iowa nails a threeeeee to upset No. 22 Wisconsin
Iowa was 2-17 against ranked Wisconsin teams. Then Jordan Bohannon and last night's 59-57 thriller happened. Watch the final seconds here.
Elsewhere, No. 18 Cincinnati kept its hopes alive for an American Athletic Conference title with a 65-47 win over visiting Houston, and No. 14 SMU clinched a share of that AAC regular-season title with a 93-70 win over Tulsa.
The regular season wraps this weekend
• No. 10 West Virginia (23-7) vs. No. 24 Iowa State (20-89) (7 ET, ESPN2) The Cyclones are peaking at the right time — six wins in a row — while West Virginia has won four of its past five and is looking to end the season on a high note after falling by nine to No. 11 Baylor on Monday.
• No. 5 North Carolina (25-6) vs. No. 17 Duke (23-7) (8:15 ET, ESPN). Do we really need to say more than UNC-Duke? Good. (Though if you really need another reason to watch, UNC can clinch the outright ACC title with a win or a Notre Dame loss.)
• No. 8 Louisville (23-7) vs. No. 19 Notre Dame (23-7) (2 ET, CBS). The Cardinals are coming off a disheartening loss at Wake Forest while Notre Dame is after a share of the ACC regular-season title (though they need to win and have Duke beat UNC).
• No. 15 Florida State (23-7) vs. No. 25 Miami (20-9) (2 ET, ACCN). The ACC is popping this weekend. Florida State is trying to bounce back after a five-point loss to Duke, while Miami wants to regain momentum after their five-game winning streak was stopped by Virginia Tech on Monday.
• No. 1 Kansas (27-3) vs. Oklahoma State (20-10) (6 ET, ESPN). The Cowboys had won five straight before a three-point loss to No. 24 Iowa State on Tuesday. Kansas struggled against unranked Oklahoma before shutting the door on the Sooners. Could No. 1 be in trouble? Probably not.
Talk March Madness to me
Watching March Madness is one of the best experiences a sports fan can have, buoyed by the soothing voices (well, when they're not screaming) that guide us through the chaos. On Thursday, CBS and Turner Sports -- now in the seventh year of bringing us the NCAA tournament -- announced who will be doing that guiding. Jim Nantz, Grant Hill, Casey Stern and Debbie Antonelli highlight the lineup. Get more details here.
Conference tourneys galore
There's only one way to guarantee your team makes the NCAA tournament: win your conference tournament and grab its automatic bid. Eight conference tournaments are already underway and five more start this weekend, with the Colonial Athletic, Horizon League, Southern, Summit and West Coast beginning Friday or Saturday.
See the full conference tournament schedule and keep track of automatic qualifiers here.
7 bracket mistakes that are way too common
In case our bracket challenge game being live didn't tip you off, it's almost time to pick your brackets (nine days and counting).
NCAA.com's Brian Mull identifies seven common mistakes people make on their brackets. For starters: Don't pick a 16 seed to beat a 1.
The Bracket Challenge is open already
Hey! Guess what? Our bracket challenge game is open. (We may have mentioned this before.) You can't actually pick a bracket yet. Selection Sunday isn't until March 12. Nine days away. You may have heard? But you can set up a group (or join one).
Mark your calendar
Selection Sunday: March 12
First Four in Dayton: March 14, 15
First Thursday of the NCAA tournament: March 16
Final Four in Phoenix: April 1-3