The 2019-20 DII men’s basketball season began Nov. 1 in St. Joseph, Missouri and opening weekend tipped off the same way the 2018-19 season ended: with Northwest Missouri State winning, extending its winning streak to 40 games.
Davenport was the first team to register a win in 2019, beating USC Aiken 77-68. While the official start of the DII men’s basketball season begins the weekend of Nov. 8 with crossover challenges between conferences and regions, Northwest Missouri State and seven other teams got the season rolling first on Nov. 1 in the Small College Basketball Hall of Fame Classic tournament.
Below you'll find the schedule for the rest of the top 25 and be sure to scroll down for the SCB Hall of Fame Classic recap.
Nov. 8 (all times ET)
- No. 18 Southern Indiana 82, Hillsdale 73
- No. 10 Missouri Southern 71, Winona State 50
- No. 20 St. Edward's 79, Colorado Mesa 76
- Southeastern Oklahoma State 75, No. 15 Northern State 64
- Truman 67, No. 17 Findlay 59
- No. 21 Saint Anselm 83, Concordia (NY) 69
- Mount Olive 88, No. 13 Augusta 82
- No. 12 Valdosta State 109, Fort Valley State 81
- No. 11 Indiana (Pa) 75, West Virginia Wesleyan 52
- No. 8 Queens (NC) 110, Young Harris 96
- No. 19 Ashland 73, Lake Erie 55
- No. 3 Bellarmine 79, Northwood 62
- No. 5 UC San Diego 95, Simon Fraser 70
- St. Mary’s (TX) 85, No. 14 Colorado School of Mines 84
- No. 4 West Liberty vs. Mansfield, 2 p.m.
- No. 16 Alabama-Huntsville at Saint Leo, 6 p.m.
- No. 24 Tarleton vs. MSU Denver, 8:30 p.m.
DII men's basketball opening weekend: The SCB Hall of Fame Classic
The event began in 2016 and has featured some of the best DII men’s basketball has to offer. Northwest Missouri State began its season there last year with two wins.
The Bearcats haven’t lost since. They won both games again in 2019 and now have 40-straight wins.
PLAYER OF THE YEAR WATCHLIST: Here's who we think are DII POY contenders
Freshman Trevor Hudgins was the MVP of last year’s tournament, and would later win the Most Outstanding Player honors when the Bearcats completed their 38-0 season — the fifth undefeated season in DII history — in Evansville, Indiana, hoisting their second national championship trophy in three years.
This year’s eight-team field included two DII Men’s Elite Eight teams as well as six teams that finished the season in the NABC top 25.
The schedule for the SCB Hall of Fame Classic looks like this (all times Eastern):
Friday, November 1, 2019
- Davenport 77, USC Aiken 68
- No. 7 West Texas A&M 99, No. 6 Lincoln Memorial 89 (OT)
- No. 1 Northwest Missouri State 85, No. 22 Daemen 65
- No. 9 Southern Nazarene 96, Missouri Western 74
Saturday, November 2, 2019
- Lincoln Memorial 98, Davenport 48
- West Texas A&M 91, USC Aiken 80
- Northwest Missouri State 100, Southern Nazarene 88
- Daemen 68, Missouri Western 64
The Disney DII Tip-Off Classic also got underway Friday in Orange, California. No. 23 Concordia (Ca) beat Texas-Permian Basin, 92-86 and 2018 national champion Ferris State beat Wayne State (Neb.) 100-78. The four teams played two more on Saturday.
DII will also continue its exhibition matchups against DI foes into the season. You can follow all the DII vs. DI action this season in the link below: