Each college basketball season begins with a clean slate for all 353 teams. As of now, there's just one undefeated DI men's college basketball team left — No. 7 San Diego State (18-0). We'll continue to track the Aztecs all season to see if they can achieve an undefeated regular season.
No team has had a perfect season since Indiana went 32-0 in 1976. Including that year, there have only been seven undefeated seasons in Division I basketball since the start of the NCAA tournament in 1939. Only Wichita State and Kentucky have taken perfect records into the NCAA tournament since 2014. That year, the Shockers reached the Round of 32 at 35-0 before their only loss of the season. The following year, the Wildcats finished 38-1, carrying a perfect record into the Final Four.
Here’s the one team that still has a chance to record the eighth undefeated season in college basketball history.
Tracking the 2019-20 undefeated college basketball teams
(results through Jan. 15)
No. 7 San Diego State (18-0)
Last: def. Fresno State, 64-55; Next: Jan. 18 vs. Nevada
San Diego State is off to its best start since 2010-11, when it started 20-0. The Aztecs improved to 7-0 in Mountain West play by defeating Fresno State 64-55 in a game in which they held the Bulldogs to 35.7 percent shooting. San Diego State's Malachi Flynn scored a game-high 22 points, while Yanni Wetzell and Matt Mitchell both scored in double figures. Up next is a home game against Nevada.
Here is the rest of the Aztecs' schedule:
- Jan. 18 vs. Nevada at 5 p.m. Pacific
- Jan. 21 vs. Wyoming at 8 p.m. Pacific
- Jan. 26 at UNLV at 1 p.m. Pacific
- Jan. 29 at New Mexico at 7 p.m MT
- Feb. 1 vs Utah State at 7 p.m. Pacific
- Feb. 8 at Air Force at 6 p.m. Mountain
- Feb. 11 vs. New Mexico at 8 p.m. Pacific
- Feb. 16 at Boise State at 2 p.m. Mountain
- Feb. 22 vs UNLV at 4:30 p.m. Pacific
- Feb. 25 vs Colorado State at 8 p.m. Pacific
- Feb. 29 at Nevada at 5 p.m. Pacific
BRACKETOLOGY: Andy Katz's latest projected bracket